Connect BX8 to G5 - best option at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 7th, 2005, 09:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Connect BX8 to G5 - best option

Hello!

I have purchased the fine M-Audio BX8 speakers, and I plan to use them for video editing and sound mixing.

I wonder what is the best option to connect them to my Apple G5. What cables should I use? The speakers have a balanced XLR output as well as a TRS output, balanced/unbalanced. As for the Mac, should I take into account the optical sound input/output on the G5? Or go with the regular audio output?

Since I spent quite a bit on a very good pair of monitor speakers, I want to connect them in a way to get the best possible sound quality.

Thanks for any advice!
Bogdan Apetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:38 PM   #2

The built in sound card ain't much....so be prepared for a few pops, clicks, and colored sound. Even a very low end external will be far superior. I know that's not what you asked...but thought you should know.

Use a 3.5mm (mini) plug from your sound card, and 1/4 mono on the input to the monitors. Be sure the cable is not longer than 8-20 feet.

You wanna really make those BX's sing? Put them on a pair of MoPads. They'll change your view, and rock your world with what a 20.00 investment can do.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The Mo-Pads are on their way... ordered them at the same time but they were back-ordered at the time :-)

I will look into what you suggested as far as the external is concerned... I am trying to mix my student film and want a decent setup. As far as the cables - suggestion taken!

Thanks a lot as usual!
Old September 8th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Dear Douglas,

If possible - can you give me a short advice about improving the quality of sound coming through my BX8? You mentioned that an external will be far superior to the sound card of my G5. What can I do about that? I am not sure - to be honest - what an external really is :-( I will also try to look online in the meantime.

Thanks a lot!!
Old September 8th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdan Apetri
Dear Douglas,

If possible - can you give me a short advice about improving the quality of sound coming through my BX8? You mentioned that an external will be far superior to the sound card of my G5. What can I do about that? I am not sure - to be honest - what an external really is :-( I will also try to look online in the meantime.

Thanks a lot!!
By external, I meant an external sound card like an M-Audio FW410, or an Echo Echofire, or something similar. The external cards have much, much better converters, and they are wonderful for recording as well, should you be doing any of that.
www.m-audio.com
www.echoaudio.com

HTH
Old September 8th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply!

I checked the soundcards you mentioned, I think I cannot afford them right now. Can I use my Digidesign MBox between the G5 and the speakers? Would this approach give me the better quality for normal sound monitoring with the BX8s that you mentioned?

Thanks Douglas.
Old September 8th, 2005, 11:32 AM   #7

I didn't realize you have an M-Box. yes, by all means, use it. That's a great little device.
Old September 8th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #8
Regular Crew

OK, I will use it!

Thanks for taking the time to guide me throughout this thread, I really appreciate it.

All the best!
Bog
Old September 8th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Sorry, one more thing: I am also looking into connecting my speakers to the Decklink Pro video card inside the G5. The Decklink offers 8 channels of SPDIF digital audio monitoring. I wonder if this would be a good option.

I could do this to better ensure sync with the video when editing in FCP and monitoring with the Blackmagic card.

I don't know yet, I am trying different options to find the best one.
Bogdan Apetri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio