manual audio settings on ex1r at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 25th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Major Player

manual audio settings on ex1r

going to put an AT897 on my ex1r. since ihavent using the manual audio settings much, would love some input from you experts.
mainly concerned for loud music at receptions. it was suggested by a guy at nab that i use the AT897 on the manual settings and take the trim off the default 41db and set it to 35db and adjust the manual control as im monitoring the meters.he said that i shouldnt get the hot overmodulated audio ive gotten b4 when i had the cam set on agc. comments welcome.
also do i adjust anything with the gain setting in the audio menu??
thanks for your responses.next wedding is in june.
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: manual audio settings on ex1r

Note that the AT897 will handle a significantly higher SPL using phantom power vs. using the internal battery. So first of all, ditch the battery and use real P48 to power the mic.

If you don't have a manual for your EX1R, I very strongly suggest that you download one and start studying it. The complete instructions for adjusting the audio gain trim are found in the manual. Take some time to familiarize yourself with this and other common menu settings so you don't waste time on location fiddling with your camera.

If the SPL is all that high, why even use a shotgun mic? I would try simply using the built-in cardioid pair.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 02:43 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Having someone to ride audio levels is a common method. Getting good audio from a live stage show isn't a set and forget it thing.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stamos View Post
going to put an AT897 on my ex1r. since ihavent using the manual audio settings much, would love some input from you experts.
mainly concerned for loud music at receptions. it was suggested by a guy at nab that i use the AT897 on the manual settings and take the trim off the default 41db and set it to 35db and adjust the manual control as im monitoring the meters.he said that i shouldnt get the hot overmodulated audio ive gotten b4 when i had the cam set on agc. comments welcome.
also do i adjust anything with the gain setting in the audio menu??
thanks for your responses.next wedding is in june.
I did not work with AT897, I use Rode NTG-1 instead. Trim level at -35db is about right for NTG-1 at loud environments, sometimes, even -29db... Most important is to set right trim level in order to get manual gain in between 5 and 6 monitoring meters...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio