Budget Near Field Monitors & Audio Interface Recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 30th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Trustee

Budget Near Field Monitors & Audio Interface Recommendations

I'm looking for recommendations for a small audio post setup. I would like to get recommendations for a small set of near field monitors and possibly an audio interface box. I primarily will be producing some Indie shorts, documentaries, corporate interviews, and a small number of live shows.

My computer currently has a typical Creative Labs FX sound card so I don't know if a simple breakout box would work as a good way to control the monitors or if I would be better off getting something like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/356714-REG/Echo_GINA3G_Gina3G_Interface.html. One of the things I need is the ability to quickly and easily go from the speakers to a set of headphones.

Right now I'm using a cheap pair of Behringer MS-40's and am looking to upgrade. My main area that I'd like to improve is in clarity and bass response. I'd like to keep the budget to $500. I know that's very small amount so I'm hoping the knowledge that existing the forum will help lead me to a hidden gem.

Thanks in advance,
Garrett
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Budget Near Field Monitors & Audio Interface Recommendations

I like getting the interface out of the computer and using USB or Firewire. I have an Echo AudioFire 8 Firewire interface that is very good sounding. Another possibility is the Sound Devices USBPre 2.

For monitors I suggest you audition a pair of the JBL Pro LSR series, either the LSR4326P (6 inch bass drivers) or the LSR4328P (8 inch bass drivers) ... I have the 8's and really like them. The built-in auto-equalizattion for the working space is first rate..
Old April 30th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

There are plenty of possibilities for good monitors. Look at models from Event, Genelec, Dynaudio and Adam for a start. I must agree with the previous post where JBL LSR4328P are recommended. I set a pair of these up for someone about 3-4 years ago in a room and was pretty blown away by the clarity of their sound. I wouldn't mind owning a pair!
Tony Koretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:56 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Steve and Tony,

I took a listen to the JBL LSR4326P and LSR4328P as well as the Genelec, Dynaudio and Adams. Unfortunately all of those are outside of the budget. Also, I'd love to use the USBPre2 but again outside of the budget. I did however listen to the baby JBL's, LSR2325P and while not on the same level as the other monitors mentioned I thought they did a great job especially when you consider that they are under $400 a pair. I may go for those and start out with a cheaper interface unit and eventually step up to the Echo. From what I heard the combination of something like an M-Audio Fast Track Pro with a pair of the LSR2325P's sounded better than a better interface like the Echo AudioFire4 with a cheaper speaker like the M-Audio BX5 or KRK Rokit 5.

Thanks again I'm sure I'll be slowly creaping up in quality as time goes on.

Garrett
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Garrett - I just purchased a setup using the Fast-Track M-Audio C400 which comes with Pro Tools MP. For monitors I bought the KRK Rokit 5s. The KRKs don't have a lot of bass or super high treble but have a a very nice clean sound. In addition to audio post work I use them for general music listening. The whole setup sounds great.

M-Audio Pro Tools MP + Fast Track C400 | Sweetwater.com
KRK Rokit 5 | Sweetwater.com

Art
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Trustee

Finally got my JBL LSR2325P monitors set up with my M-Audio interface. For such small speakers they really do sound very good. Not like the Dynaudio, Adams, or others on those levels but considering I got them new for only $335 a pair they a much better than anything else that fell into my budget range.

Only problem, I can now hear where my previous mixes are woefully bad. At least on most peoples AV setups they won't hear that much of a difference but on decent monitors you can really hear when your mix is off.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Garrett

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio