Replacement wind socks for Sony lav mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 4th, 2012, 04:20 AM   #1
Equal Opportunity Offender

Replacement wind socks for Sony lav mics

Can't believe that I lost all three of them on the very day that I finally needed to use the first. And I was being careful to keep track of 'em.

Any tips on what the others here do for replacements (without paying the dreaded Sony tax)?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Replacement wind socks for Sony lav mics

Here in the US, we can go to Radio Shack and buy a 4 pack of foam windscreens for US$4. (Catalog #: 33-4006) And there is also WindTech (Olsen Audio) who make a very wide range of replacement windscreen products including 10 different models for lav mics: Olsen Audio Group: WindTech Small Microphone Windscreens

Alas, I didn't see anything like that at Dick Smith, but I am not that familiar with what is available in OZ, perhaps you can find something similar?

And the Rode foam and furry windscreens have a moulded plastic piece which fit their mic perfectly, but is probably too small for any of the Sony models (which you did not identify).
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Trustee

I put a dab of rubber cement on the sides of the mic between the windscreen. If I need to take off the windscreen, peel it off slowly.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Equal Opportunity Offender

It would be the lav that comes with the Sony wireless mic kits (URZ-P2, UTX-B2).

The closest thing I can get over here is the "Rycote 105501 Lavalier Foam Windscreen 5-Pack (Black)" for $21. The reviews (at a non DVinfo sponsor) indicate that the foam wind socks fit the Sony lav mic.

The $4 5-pack sounds good, but in a strange way I might as well get the local one for now. If I was purchasing any more I would definitely purchase from the USA and get them posted out to me. May even still do that, given that I don't have a huge urgency for this to arrive.

Thanks for supplying the part number. Most helpful.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Can't believe that I lost all three of them on the very day that I finally needed to use the first. And I was being careful to keep track of 'em.

Any tips on what the others here do for replacements (without paying the dreaded Sony tax)?

Andrew
Rycote - personal mic. solutions.
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Inner Circle

After some time, depending on use and keeping them washed and clean we found the cheaper lav foam windscreens disintegrate and crumble into very tiny bits. I suspect that some could find their way into the mic. I stay with the name brands.

Another thing I did was to buy some black metal lav windscreen covers from BnH after an amateur walked off the set with the lav clipped on his lapel, luckily it was wireless but before we could rescue it, it came unclipped and he stepped on a Sony ECM44BMP lav. Ouch!

Amazingly about a week after I fitted the metal cover, the same thing happened with another clown, the cover got pushed out of shape
but the lav was untouched. I managed to bend the cover roughly back into shape and it still works.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio