Wireless lav or shotgun mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 13th, 2012, 05:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless lav or shotgun mic?

Hi,

I'll be recording sit down interviews at a convention center where it will be noisy and I'll have little control over the environment. I'll be stationary and the subject will be speaking directly to the camera in a medium close up shot. Which type of mic would yield the best sound in this situation wireless lav or shotgun mic?

Thank you,

Joe
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Wireless lav or shotgun mic?

If you are indoors don't use a shotgun.

Use either a lav (preferred) or if you need to use a boom then use a super-cardioid mic (the person can't move around much or your levels will be all over the place).
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #3
Inner Circle

IMO a lav is your best bet. I've always liked the ECM-55 for it's tight sound, though it's huge by today's standards . Unfortunately cardioid lavs have other inherent issues and I would only use them if feedback is an issue. (integrated PA system)
A shotgun could work if the ceilings are high and your not in close proximity to a hard wall, but a lav would still offer better isolation from extraneous noise.
For quick stand-up interviews I'd recommend a H/H reporter's mic like the venerable EV RE50 or the Sennheiser MD42 or 46.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #4
Trustee

The recommendation for not using shotgun mics indoors is not related to indoors/outdoors. It is related to the presence of close (acoustic) reflections which destroy the directional characteristics of the microphone and render it almost worse than an omni.

A room with a 20+ft ceiling and walls at least that far away is acoustically equivalent to being outdoors. A good anechoic chamber may be only 10 foot wide but is effectively "outdoors" for the purposes of a shotgun mic. And the middle of the Sahara desert with a bunch of hard flags and reflectors a few feet away may very well be "indoors" for the purposes of acoustic reflections. The popular "indoors" vs. "outdoors" shotgun rule is too simplistic to cover all cases.

Of course, from the brief description "sit down interviews at a convention center" we don't know whether that means inside a display booth with reflective walls (which would be the equivalent of "indoors") or out in the middle of the floor (which would effectively be "outdoors").
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Phew! I'm glad Richard said that. Just recently there's been so much advice that you must not use shotguns indoors - which of course is rubbish. I always use my ears. If you can hear the 'walls', then so will the mic. I'm always very wary of the advice to use a cardioid or supercardioid on a boom. These mics need to be close in, and inverse square law means that moving the mics just a small amount to or from the source produces big changes in level - attached to a boom, keeping distance the same is really hard, because the angle is fixed - whereas a hand can rotate.If it's a small space - then a cardioid/super-cardioid out of shot sounds distant anyway - and a shotgun can give you better results. The room, and the placement in it are the key. A nice long handled omni in shot, a cardioid just out of shot if you're on CUs, or a shotgun out of shot on MCU or wider. Ears are the key! The only rule is there isn't a rule, just guidance.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
I'm always very wary of the advice to use a cardioid or supercardioid on a boom. .
A shotgun mic is a cardioid pattern mic that uses either phased elements or a waveguide interference tube to enhance its pattern. The same rules go for it as any other mic regarding distance and aiming.

Non shotgun tight pattern mics are VERY effective on booms. They require the same attention of operation as a shotgun.

Get one of these and try it out. You will be instantly convinced. I sure was.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/377424-REG/Schoeps_CMC641_SET_Colette_Series_Microphone_Set.html
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
The recommendation for not using shotgun mics indoors is not related to indoors/outdoors. It is related to the presence of close (acoustic) reflections which destroy the directional characteristics of the microphone and render it almost worse than an omni.

A room with a 20+ft ceiling and walls at least that far away is acoustically equivalent to being outdoors. A good anechoic chamber may be only 10 foot wide but is effectively "outdoors" for the purposes of a shotgun mic. And the middle of the Sahara desert with a bunch of hard flags and reflectors a few feet away may very well be "indoors" for the purposes of acoustic reflections. The popular "indoors" vs. "outdoors" shotgun rule is too simplistic to cover all cases.

Of course, from the brief description "sit down interviews at a convention center" we don't know whether that means inside a display booth with reflective walls (which would be the equivalent of "indoors") or out in the middle of the floor (which would effectively be "outdoors").
Thank you for posting this Richard - this is correct and I wish more people would realise it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
A shotgun mic is a cardioid pattern mic that uses either phased elements or a waveguide interference tube to enhance its pattern. The same rules go for it as any other mic regarding distance and aiming.

Non shotgun tight pattern mics are VERY effective on booms. They require the same attention of operation as a shotgun.

Get one of these and try it out. You will be instantly convinced. I sure was.

Schoeps Colette Series Supercardioid Microphone Set CMC641G SET
Actually, most gun mics are a super-cardioid NOT a cardioid, as the super-cardioid gives you the directivity at low frequencies and the interference tube then pulls it tighter at the higher frequencies.
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Shotgun mics are "generally not" the best solution for indoors. But if a room is well treated and doesn't have early reflection problems they can be fine. The reality is though, that more times than not, rooms do have early reflection problems (unless it's a well treated recording studio or a vocal booth) so there are better choices than shotgun mics for most indoor recording.

Shotgun mics are not usually cardioid........they use either supercardioid or hypercardioid capsules in an interference tube.
Tony Koretz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio