Videomic equivalent at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 15th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Videomic equivalent

I own and use a Videomic, and for the most part am happy with it. I now need something of comparable quality that I can insert in a shotgun mount on my XA10. Prefer a mini-plug connector I can use an XLR adapter with, and battery operated.

I have an Sennheiser MKE 400 I'm going to sell or trade for it.

Any suggestions?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Videomic equivalent

Yep, the new Rode Videomic Pro, it's the Videomic on steroids, or the stereo Videomic Pro .. that's the Videomic on stereo-oids :)

Cheers.
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Allan. I have the Videomic pro already, but it cannot be mounted in a shotgun mount, which I need to do. If I could disassemble it somehow and make it work I would. I am using the older one in a shotgun mount, I removed the mount and it works fine.

As an aside, I find the Videomic Pro to be nice, but between the two if I had to choose one for better sound, I prefer the orignal. I think the longer barrel or whatever it's called, helps somehow. At any rate they are extremely close in quality to my ears, but that's just me.
Old May 15th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff

Does the camera have the Sony style barrel clamp for the mic??? On my AC-130's I just removed the suspension unit and clamp the barrel of the Videomic in the new Panasonic mic holder..works a treat and no darn suspension bands to keep replacing either!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hey Chris, yes I'm already using my original Videomic that way, works great, thanks for the tip though. I now need a second mic, but my Videomic Pro cannot be used that way, too short. Thought I'd just get a conventional style one. Just occurred to me there is a thread somewhere in the XA10 forum where someone asked about mics for the XA10, I'll look there too. Thanks again, Chris.
Old May 16th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

What about the short shotguns supplied with some Panasonic and Sony cams?

My NX5 came with something quite small that could fit the bill?
Ryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Major Player

if you're looking for a traditional-form shotgun that powers off an internal battery, there are quite a few options, including the rode NTG2, audio technica AT897 and sennheiser ME66. to plug it into a mini jack, you will need a short XLR to 1/8 adapter cable.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Henry, I've been looking at prices of the NTG 2 and similar mics, and it appears I'm best off with buying another Rode Videomic, removing the shockmount as I did with the other. It's not ideal, but this solution is very cost effective, and fit into my situation perfectly.

The Rode has a constant power light, has mini-plug, and I can buy a Rode XLR adapter and the mic itself for under $150. The NTG 2 is a very nice mic, and would love to have one, but a nice feature of using another Rode is my cameras would look identical and sound identical. It's nice to have consistency in my gear, so I'm feeling good about that aspect.

The Videomic quality is not top notch, but for my purposes it works pretty darned well.

Appreciate the feedback. Chris, thanks for reinforcing how good the rode works.
Old May 17th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #9
Major Player

Jeff, I have the NTG2 and I'm always amazed at what a good job it does even just plugged into lowly TM900. It takes an AA battery so doesn't need phantom power. It comes with its own shock mount which can also be attached to a hotshoe if one is available and has a 1/4" 20 thread in the bottom. Might be worth trying one out if you can arrange that.

It is mono but it's no big deal to create two channels in post.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Inner Circle

looks like NTG-2 is something you need. It can be used an XLR, or battery operated with 3.5mm plug.

We are RODE authorized reseller. I can offer a discount for DVInfo member.
RODE NTG-2 Condenser Shotgun Microphone | L.A. Color Online

Contact me for the discount if you are interested.
Old May 18th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #11
Major Player

Whoops, should have said the shock mount rubber band variety is separate. The mic does come with is own grip though and the thread in the bottom of that can be modified by dropping in an adapter to make it 1/4" x 20.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
looks like NTG-2 is something you need. It can be used an XLR, or battery operated with 3.5mm plug.

We are RODE authorized reseller. I can offer a discount for DVInfo member.
RODE NTG-2 Condenser Shotgun Microphone | L.A. Color Online

Contact me for the discount if you are interested.
how much are the discount?
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio