Where can i get good rights free music? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 1st, 2012, 01:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Where can i get good rights free music?

I'm trying to get some music to use underneath interviews in my doc. What are sites people use that have good free music? To be slightly more specific, it's music underneath people talking about Irish immigration and Mexican immigration to the US so I'll be looking for something that matches that without being cheesy, although i fear anything that sounds Irish or Mexican will be way too cheesy.

So, any site recommendations?
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 05:02 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Where can i get good rights free music?

@Noam... this is a common question. Do a search on "Royalty Free Music" here on DVinfo
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 06:49 AM   #4
Trustee

Royalty Free Music
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
I concur with the above.I have downloaded lots of his stuff, but I always pay the recommended $5 whenever I actually use one of his songs on a project (and then he sends you Christmas greetings!).
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 05:18 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam Osband View Post
I'm trying to get some music to use underneath interviews in my doc. What are sites people use that have good free music? To be slightly more specific, it's music underneath people talking about Irish immigration and Mexican immigration to the US so I'll be looking for something that matches that without being cheesy, although i fear anything that sounds Irish or Mexican will be way too cheesy.

So, any site recommendations?
Do you mean completely free, as in no money changes hands at all, or do you mean Royalty Free music, where you do pay a fee to license the track but for a single fee you can use it as much as you want in as many different productions as you need and there are no on-going royalty payments due for each performance or broadcast of the program?

If the latter there are a number of sites offering royalty-free tracks at reasonable license fees. Check out SmartSound.com and Magnatunes.com for two starters.
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I hadnt thought about the difference between those two...which shows where I'm starting from.

I guess I'd have preferred copyright free but seeing how reasonably priced royalty free music is, I think i can go with that. thanks for the help!
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Another place is Digital Juice at digitaljuice.com. Their old Staxx Traxx were great, and they put them up for sale regularly still, and they also have a new product out, that has similar capabilities.
Old June 4th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam Osband View Post
I hadnt thought about the difference between those two...which shows where I'm starting from.

I guess I'd have preferred copyright free but seeing how reasonably priced royalty free music is, I think i can go with that. thanks for the help!
About the only thing you're ever going to find that is actually copyright-free would be sheet music composed and published before 1922. Or music you compose yourself. Any more recent music, and virtually all recordings of music ever made, would be covered by a copyright owned by someone - it happens automatically when the work is first published. Even your own videos are copyright, though you might not know it - as soon as you publish the work, ie, show it publicly, copyright pops into existence, even if you don't actually register it. Sure, some creative works have been released into the public domain - works created in the US on the taxpayer's dime, for example, such as WWII combat footage captured by military personnel - but they are few and far between.
Old June 5th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #10
SmartSound

SmartSound has that you can easily customize to the exact length and mood that you want. You can try it out for free on the home page: Royalty Free Music, 20 Million+ Royalty Free Music Downloads

Here are some pages that might be more specific to what your looking for:
Royalty Free Atmospheric Beds
Royalty Free Irish Music

Last edited by Craig Griffiths; June 5th, 2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: More info
Craig Griffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 04:58 AM   #11
Regular Crew

To add to the list already mentioned, suitable Royalty-free music can also be found at Rocksure Soundz | Royalty Free Music, Sound Effects, Production Music New Zealand

Also you may find this article that I wrote on the topic of Understanding what royalty-free music is to be helpful. It is one of a few on there that outline some of the misconceptions and pointers to consider when looking for music:
Royalty Free Music: What is it? | Rocksure Soundz
Tony Koretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #12
Trustee

As others have noted, you may be confusing "royalty free" with "free" music.

There is no readily available organized source of copyright cleared legal music that comes with absolutely no cost.

Nor should there be. It takes time and effort to compile, organize and make stock music available and those who work to create it deserve to be compensated for their efforts.

Using music in a video actually involves a bunch of "rights" often including composition, performance and synchronization rights. Stock music houses bundle these and make legal use easy.

But if you want to stay on the right side of the law, you're going to have to pay for either the proper music license, or buy a program like SmartSound that automates the creation of licensed music from common licensed samples.

Good luck.
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I also use SmartSound's music. Lots of good, usable material there.

As mentioned, you can taylor the length and often the tone of the music to work under narration. It's supposed to allow you to mark specific spots where you want the nature of the music to change. I haven't done that so I can't vouch for it.

And you can easily audition their tracks, mixed with what you've edited, before buying.

Royalty Free Music and Sound Effects Library with Soundtrack Editing Software Products
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #14
Major Player

HUM studios have a great synch library and are very helpful. I know Joe personally and he is very talented and experienced.

Hum Tracks » HUM

But why not compose some yourself?
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Popular Music Library For Photographers And Videographers - Songfreedom.com

$25 per project use. Pop songs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio