gitzo boompoles at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 21st, 2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Major Player

gitzo boompoles

just got an at897 shotgun and am looking at the gitzo boom poles. found a carbon grafite for 375. anyone used these. this has the cable on the outside fitting into the slot at the top.
ktek are out of my price range.
gitzo also has an aluminum one for less, but i hear they will bend more and arent as rigid. is this a big factor?
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: gitzo boompoles

Not to jack a thread, but I'd hate to make another one right next to it: What are the best super budget level boom options?
Old June 21st, 2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Bourcier View Post
...What are the best super budget level boom options?
I think "best" and "super budget" are in conflict with each other. Does "best" mean cheapest? That's probably a DIY using a painting handle or something.

Jim, cord management is important. It can take time and effort to keep it secure so it doesn't flop during a move and make noise. I'll let others speak to rigidity. Mine is aluminum and I haven't noticed a problem.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 11:00 PM   #4
Trustee

I had a Carbon Fiber Gitzo 1540 or something like that for a couple of years. It was around $220, about 9 or 10 feet and was really nice and light. You just wrapped the cable around the pole. It bends a lot, but it was still controllable.

I won a K-Tek KE-110CC a few years later, and for the work I do, the internal coiled cable just made things SO much easier. It's significantly heavier, stiffer, and about the same cost at $225, but for the most part I just set the pole in a holder on a C-stand. I sold the Gitzo shortly after.

I don't think you'll notice a huge difference unless someone is holding the pole all day long. I think convenience trumps weight, at least to a certain extent.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:24 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I bought the Gitzo CF3560 for $329.95 and find it's great. It extends out to almost 13' we've only used that length a few times, but when we needed it there it was. Just make sure you have enough mic cable available.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/475913-REG/Gitzo_GB3560_3560_Six_Section_Carbon.html

Also this .. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/596490-REG/Pearstone_8121290_Boom_Pole_Holder.html but you can make one from a fishing pole holder.

Cheers.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Major Player

ive heard the coiled ones can kink inside and to go with the cable on the outside
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 12:29 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Bourcier View Post
Not to jack a thread, but I'd hate to make another one right next to it: What are the best super budget level boom options?
Evan, if you're looking for a solid boom pole on the cheap (without going the paint handle route) I'd throw out there the RODE Boompole at the cheapest one/usable around I've seen, brand new for $139. RODE Boompole - DVeStore
Then something like the Gitzo, starting roughly around $175 at various stores, and then up to the K-Tek, Internally cabled for $210ish. (K-Tek KE89CC Boom Pole with internal coiled cable - DVeStore) So you can still find a good selection at or under $200 without even going used.
Jesse Pepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Trustee

I'll second the Rode. You can fit your own internal cable if you wish but many folks just wrap around - simpler and you can see any potential problems.

If you don't need the full length of the Rode Boompole, the mini version is just as robust but cheaper and a bit lighter.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #9
Trustee

I have a Gizo carbon fibre pole and really rate it as it is light and very well made, it does the job and is ideal for the AT875 mics I use.

Have you seen these ones that also look very good value: 12 ft. Carbon Fiber Microphone BOOM POLE - The Lux Falcon Boompole for mics | eBay
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #10
Major Player

I've only used metal boompoles, mostly aluminum, and have never bent one (yet). I like their cost and convenience, plus I like external cables. Why? Easier to replace WHEN (not IF) they go bad.

Not to bad-mouth carbon fiber. It's great stuff. I just wonder about claims of it damping vibration sounds better than aluminum. Stiffer mediums transmit sound BETTER, not worse. Plus, carbon fiber has almost ZERO tolerance for damage. You can't modify it without special tooling, so if you need to make it shorter or drill a couple holes for a different mounting, you're out of luck. And when you finally DO reach its yield point, it will shatter, not bend.

I don't own carbon fiber tripods or monopods for the same reasons (minus the cabling issues).

Martin
Old June 24th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #11
Major Player

A question that needs to be asked is what extended length do you need and what do you want to do with it?

I have several and have access to a couple of long aluminium ones when needed, the most usable one I have is in fact a converted camera mono pod that extends to 1.5m, and the reason is the locking of the sections is done by simple clips that can be operated with just one thumb rather than rotating locking collars requiring 2 hands.
I have just ordered a mini Carbon pole to make a super light weight kit for interstate jobs when air flights are involved.
I have also made some 1m fixed length poles for football coach press conferences from broom sticks with a 3/8 thread epoxy glued into the end and then covered with black heat shrink tube.... looks and works great, cheap, easy and virtually disposable so I leave them at the sporting venue between each match.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio