Sound Devices 302 extra input at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 14th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Sound Devices 302 extra input

I've read the 302 can take an additional input. How would this work with an XLR mic. 99% of the time I use only 3 lav mics but on a rare occasion I need to use a table mic or another lav. Looks like the input is an unbalanced 1/8" stereo jack. What sort of cable do I need to attach mono mic to it. I assume it also wouldn't provide phantom power.

I know there's the 422, but they don't make it anymore (I would have to get a used one), its more expensive, bigger, and heavier
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sound Devices 302 extra input

The 'extra inputs' (returns) on the 302 can be routed to the main Left and/or Right main buss, but they are not mic pre-amps, nor do they supply any power, Plug-in or Phantom, however they would work with a wireless receiver that could output an unbalanced line level signal. Riding gain is difficult though due to the small size and location of the return trim pots.
See the manual on how to configure this via the software menu.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I've read the 302 can take an additional input. How would this work with an XLR mic. 99% of the time I use only 3 lav mics but on a rare occasion I need to use a table mic or another lav. Looks like the input is an unbalanced 1/8" stereo jack. What sort of cable do I need to attach mono mic to it. I assume it also wouldn't provide phantom power.

I know there's the 422, but they don't make it anymore (so I'd have to a used one), its more expensive, bigger, and heavier
It doesn't work with an XLR mic or any mic for that matter, regardless of connector. Input 4/5 uses the monitor return input which has no preamps and thus is line level only. It also does not offer phantom power. Additional mic level inputs require you add an external preamp such as another 302, a Mix-Pre, or similar, daisy-chained to the 302's mix-in input.
Old July 14th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Steve & Rick thx for clearing that up for me.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Major Player

This might be what your after... Although it won't take mic input level.
Cable Techniques - RX Emergency

Peter Engh Sound at one stage made a P-21 which was a variable 2 into 1 small radio mic mixer designed for the Shure FP 32 / 33 that would also work on a SD 302.
Their current web site doesn't mention it.
http://www.peterengh.com/products.php

Last edited by Brian P. Reynolds; July 14th, 2012 at 07:08 PM.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio