Stereo Wide Plugins? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 31st, 2012, 09:48 PM   #1

Stereo Wide Plugins?

Do such a vst exist? I have used them in music software and they are great, but would love to widen the stereo audio in some clips. Anyone suggest such a plugin for PP or Vegas?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:18 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Stereo Wide Plugins?

If the original is purely intensity stereo (i.e. recorded with one coincident pair, or mixed from multiple mono mics), the image can be widened with the following procedure.

1.) Convert from L / R to M / S (L+R / L-R).

2.) Reduce the gain on the M (L+R) channel.

3.) Convert back to L / R.

There are problems with this.

1.) If a given signal is already near the edge of the sound stage, then an out-of-phase version of that signal will appear in the opposite channel. This, of course, is bad for mono compatibility, and can easily sound bad depending on the listening situation.

2.) This technique will reduce the level of anything in the center, relative to the sides. For example if you have a typical studio music recording, where the solo vocal is dead center, this technique will reduce the level of the vocal, relative to the backing musicians.

3.) If the original recording was time (phase) related stereo (i.e. recorded with a non-coincident stereo pair) then this technique will not change the phase relationship of the final tracks, although it will change the relative levels. This could end up creating undesired phasing effects.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Inner Circle

.Either way.. expanding an already 'stereo' recording or simulating stereo from a mono recording, I'm sure there are many VST plug-in available, both paid and freeware. But I don't have time to search for one right now though. In addition, most DAWs and audio editing software (like Sound Forge) have those kind of effects patches built in.
As Greg stated, using to excess, would do much more harm than good.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Trustee

I use this one for my pro tools post rig: Brainworx | bx_solo
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
If the original is purely intensity stereo (i.e. recorded with one coincident pair, or mixed from multiple mono mics), the image can be widened with the following procedure.

1.) Convert from L / R to M / S (L+R / L-R).

2.) Reduce the gain on the M (L+R) channel.

3.) Convert back to L / R.

There are problems with this.

1.) If a given signal is already near the edge of the sound stage, then an out-of-phase version of that signal will appear in the opposite channel. This, of course, is bad for mono compatibility, and can easily sound bad depending on the listening situation.

2.) This technique will reduce the level of anything in the center, relative to the sides. For example if you have a typical studio music recording, where the solo vocal is dead center, this technique will reduce the level of the vocal, relative to the backing musicians.

3.) If the original recording was time (phase) related stereo (i.e. recorded with a non-coincident stereo pair) then this technique will not change the phase relationship of the final tracks, although it will change the relative levels. This could end up creating undesired phasing effects.
How do I proceed in Prem Pro CS5.5??
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Trustee

Found this on the web, have not used it: KVR: Mildon Studios releases SLVR Spreader - VST Stereo Expander Plugin for Windows
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan Salur View Post
Do such a vst exist? I have used them in music software and they are great, but would love to widen the stereo audio in some clips. Anyone suggest such a plugin for PP or Vegas?
Yes. Do a Google search for Nick Whitehurst's "C-Plugs". Its a samall suite of VST plugs. They all work well in Vegas. His C_Super Stereo plug is very useful. Input width and rotation, DC filter, L, R and C 3 way balance. Bass adjust, freq, boost and width. Output rotation and width.. Mono and bypass switches. Full stereo correlation meter with phase difference scale. Also has output gain controls.

Old but very good, fixed numerous out of phase audio and stereo issues for me. Never found anything quitle like them. Also a good little freq analyzer is included in the set. Llet us know how you go.
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio