Looking for a good lavalier mic that is impervious to GSM / cell phone interference - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 10th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #61
Regular Crew

Re: Looking for a good lavalier mic that is impervious to GSM / cell phone interferen

I have not tried equalizing, as it would take up a lot of time to equalize each video after the fact so I don't think it would be practical.

As of now, I'm thinking of trying an AT899. Will report back if I do or if I come across some other mic.
Luke Arndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #62
Trustee

Re: Looking for a good lavalier mic that is impervious to GSM / cell phone interferen

Luke,

I'm surprised that it would take more than a few minutes to EQ an entire track (before editing).

What is the total length of one shoot that you're talking about?

Last edited by Greg Miller; September 11th, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #63
Regular Crew

The total length varies from 30 minutes to several hours, depending on the length of the deposition.

I don't know that the EQ itself would necessarily take a while, but it would require a few more steps in the process. Instead of simply having a master DVD that is good to go, I would have to rip it, EQ it, render it, and burn it.
Luke Arndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #64
Trustee

I thought we were talking about DEPOSITION recordings here? Why are we worrying about EQ? Speech intelligibility is the #1 requirement for the sound track here. Certainly absence of interference noise (including cell phones) is a significant factor. But I fail to see how subtle tonal changes is even worth discussing.

Now if we were talking about a big-time dramatic production that would be a different matter.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #65
Trustee

Richard,

I'm inclined to agree with you. As I see it, there are two important issues for deposition recordings: they should be noise free, and the intelligibility should be good. The mic in question solves the first issue. The mic's LF rolloff will not have any adverse effect on intelligibility; in fact it might improve intelligibility because it will reduce pickup of LF room noise (air handlers and the like) as well as bumps and thumps when the person moves around and bumps the mic. The problem is solved (assuming the OP is really recording depositions, and not doing something else).

Yet now the OP is unhappy because this mic's response is not the same as a mic which he was unable to use because of cellphone interference. [extraneous blather removed]

Luke,

As I see it, if you really want more LF but are unwilling to devote any time to achieving that, you have two choices at this point in time.

First: go on an unending quest for another -- different -- better -- more super deluxe -- microphone.

Second: use a mixer like the Mackie 802-VLZ3 which has some analog equalization. Crank up the LF boost about half way and that will restore a lot of the bottom end to the Shure mic, so it sounds more like the [useless] electret that you like. (Remember that the LF boost by itself will add to room noise and LF thumping noises, but the Mackie also has a LF cut switch to get rid of the really low end.)

Of course you will probably find something you don't like about the Mackie. And, indeed, we haven't tested it for GSM/RF immunity so I can't speak to that point.

Last edited by Greg Miller; September 12th, 2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old September 12th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #66
Inner Circle

FWIW, I've been given to understand that ANY post-production manipulation of the recording - editing of any sort, sound sweetening, whatever - can get the testimony in a video deposition invalidated and tossed out of court. I've been told the only thing acceptable as evidence is the original camera raw footage and the only "editing" allowed being in-camera editing, stopping tape when the attorneys agree to go off the record and resuming recording before going back on the record. Even an exact duplicate copy of the original recording is unacceptable in some courts - the only valid evidence being the actual camera original media.
Old September 12th, 2012, 05:46 AM   #67
Trustee

Interesting, Steve, and that may be valid.

If that is the case, would it be acceptable to use some analog EQ as part of the recording process? Or would that also be taboo?
Old September 12th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #68
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
Interesting, Steve, and that may be valid.

If that is the case, would it be acceptable to use some analog EQ as part of the recording process? Or would that also be taboo?
Just guessing but I would think EQ during recording would be acceptable as its use would be clearly known by the attorneys for both sides.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio