Veeery basic H4N question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Trustee

Veeery basic H4N question

Hi fellas,

I´ve just bought an H4N and I´m having a bit of trouble using it with the NTG3. I´ve plugged the NTG3 on via XLR on the MIC 1 input and selected MIC 1 as the source. I´ve cranked up the recording volume up to 100% and won´t record anything at all. As I was trying to record I had the headphones on and I could not hear anything (well, when I cranked the volume to 100% and I tapped the tip of the mic I could hear that). Whenever I switched to the H4N´s mic source I could record perfectly and I could hear everything on the headphones. On the Input Settings I have +48V on Phantom. I´ve tried both XLR inputs. I had it connected to the power outlet (I didn´t try with batts). I´m sure it´s probably something silly...so lay it on me...
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Tourist

Re: Veeery basic H4N question

Welcome to the zoom has a weak preamp. It just doesn't cut it.
Jerry Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Trustee

Sorry but I´ve seen loads of people using the H4N with the NTG3. I´m sure that is not it.

One more observation, I can see the sound meter bar at the middle like the H4N was being fed sound but it was not recording it somehow.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes View Post
Sorry but I´ve seen loads of people using the H4N with the NTG3. I´m sure that is not it.
Sorry I don't have an answer for you but as I just started using my H4N w/ the NTG-3, I can confirm that it does work quite well. If I come up with anything I'll pass it along.
Tim Ribich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 02:49 AM   #5
Trustee

I´ve tested a Rode Mic Videopro on the mini jack input and it works perfectly. For me it´s starting to sound like I have a problem with either the XLR cable, the H4N XLR inputs or the Rode NTG3 mic. As I JUST got the Zoom and the Rode from abroad I´m praying it´s the XLR cable.

Does anyone know Zoom´s support email? I went to their website and the only info they have under support is a list of distributors :(
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I would suspect a problem. .. Have you tried another microphone, cable .. basic trouble shooting. If those are OK, then the problem has to do with the H4n... settings or broken.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:07 AM   #7
Trustee

You have switched on 48V phantom power for the input which you are using with the NTG-3?
(You did say basic!)
:-)
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Trustee

Try sticking the butt end of the mic directly into the H4n, thereby bypassing all cables and see if that works. I'm wondering if your mic cable connections are crossed?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Trustee

First, re-read the H4N manual... this is a complex machine. Be sure everything is configured correctly for the XLR inputs. Be sure phantom power is set to +48 volts. Still no audio? Then it's time for some simple logical tests.

The first thing to check is the XLR-XLR cable. Check it with a basic ohm meter. Pin 1 to pin 1 should show continuity (very nearly zero ohms), but should be open to the other two pins. Pin 2 to pin 2, likewise; and pin 3 to pin 3 likewise. If something there is open, or if any two pins are shorted together, the cable is NFG.

Once you have a known good cable, check the mic. Connect another condenser mic, which needs phantom power, and is known to be good, to the recorder.
• If you now have audio, then your new (questionable) mic is bad. You can confirm this by connecting the new (questionable) mic to a known good mixer/recorder... presumably it will not work.
• If you do not have audio with the known mic, then it's a recorder problem... proceed below.

Turn off phantom powering, and connect a balanced professional dynamic mic (anything from an SM58 upwards) to the recorder using the known good cable. If that works, the recorder is not providing correct phantom voltage to theNTG3. If the dynamic mic does not work then there's a problem with the recorder input circuitry.

And of course any recorder "problem" might be a configuration problem (check the manual and menus) or it might be an actual malfunction.

Simple substitution and logic will get to the bottom of this.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Trustee

I´ve tested with another mic that needs phantom power and it didn´t work. I also tested the XLR cable on another recorder and it worked.
Instead of using a dynamic mic on the XLR input could I test with a guitar?

I checked and I have the latest firmware (System Version 1.72). Do you guys think this could be a firmware bug keeping the phatom power from being sent? Should I try reinstalling the firmware?

Last edited by Rafael Lopes; October 3rd, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:12 PM   #11
Inner Circle

You tried a mic that also required phantom and you say it didn't work? That sounds like you've isolated the problem to the phantom supply. Are you sure it's actually on AND set to provide a full 48 volts? As I recall the H4n has a 12 volt phantom option, make sure that's not the setting in your case.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:17 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
You tried a mic that also required phantom and you say it didn't work? That sounds like you've isolated the problem to the phantom supply. Are you sure it's actually on AND set to provide a full 48 volts? As I recall the H4n has a 12 volt phantom option, make sure that's not the setting in your case.
The H4N has 24 and 48. I made sure it was set to 48.
I´m going to try plugging a guitar to the XLR/Jack ports to see if it works. If it doesn´t work then these ports are damaged. If it works then there is something wrong with the phatom power supply...in this case I have no idea what could be done. Do you think this could be a bug in the firmware keeping the phatom power from being sent? Would reinstalling the firmware be worth it?

Last edited by Rafael Lopes; October 3rd, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:23 PM   #13
Major Player

You have got it in 4 Channel mode yes? Otherwise it will only ever record using the two built in mics or the 3.5mm input jack on the rear.

Once in 4 Channel have you adjusted the Levels for the input in question? I suspect you have got the Levels for that input source at or near zero.

I use the H4n with a Rode NTG2 and its fine. Have you tried putting an AA battery in the Rode instead of using phantom power? I do that anyway because phantom power uses up the Zoom's own power supply much quicker.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:32 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Riding View Post
You have got it in 4 Channel mode yes? Otherwise it will only ever record using the two built in mics or the 3.5mm input jack on the rear.

Once in 4 Channel have you adjusted the Levels for the input in question? I suspect you have got the Levels for that input source at or near zero.

I use the H4n with a Rode NTG2 and its fine. Have you tried putting an AA battery in the Rode instead of using phantom power? I do that anyway because phantom power uses up the Zoom's own power supply much quicker.

Pete
I´ve tried Stereo AND 4 Channels. I´ve check all the times that the recording volume was set at 100% and I even boosted the DB to the max just to be sure.
Sadly the NTG3 doesn´t take batteries. It HAS to be fed phantom power.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:55 PM   #15
Major Player

You have selected the xlr inputs as the inputs rather than the internal mics.....haven't you?
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio