High end wireless microphone? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 14th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: High end wireless microphone?

Hey Ty, those were some neat drop box files.

the AT 2020 does sound, what?, wholesome? Full? pretty nice. The pickled piper picked peppers and sea shells was a good test of the pop filter. I listened to the 416-897SN, SM58 (kind of a standard if it's not a counterfeit one. Heck, maybe the counterfeit ones are becoming a standard???) Was that a straight 58 or the a or the beta?

The AT 2020 USB sounded good, too.

My favorite, and I didn't listen to everything, was the AT 4050ST Stereo Acoustic Git wide with the guitar. It would have been nice to see a picture of the guitar/mic relationship as it was moved around.

I think those who like acoustic guitars, voice, and in my case, accordion (as well), probably tend to be more sensitive to the little nuances in the sound. The take with the acoustic guitar really brings out the nuances.

Maybe that's why I'm more in favor of sub-categories for the "All Things Audio" section. I've been looking at the threads and responses that have been posted, numbers and types, and comparing the Audio category to others on the board and really feel DVinfo is short-changing the audio aspect of video. All these audio clips show how much there is to know and learn.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Thanks John,

Yes, a "regular" SM58 and a real one, I think.

Mics and preamps are like paints and brushes. They combine differently in unexpected ways sometimes and not always for the better.

I have some other samples in my local archive. When I get a mic to review I usually record some samples and keep them in a session. The TLM 67 is one of my favorite mics for studio. I don't have one. I use a U 89i for most of those chores.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote from Ty: "Mics and preamps are like paints and brushes. They combine differently in unexpected ways sometimes and not always for the better. "

That's very true. One of the things I want to do is examine the whole route from the sound source to the video file where the audio is recorded. Look at what I want to capture from the sound source (plain voice talking would be different from, say, acoustic guitar, accordion, piano, etc.), then continue the path to where the audio is recorded looking at cables, pre-amps, etc. Some situations one wants the background noise very quiet, other situations it doesn't really matter, like a video of, say, a motorcycle race.

Probably should also add to the above: audio file format and "stuff" like that.

A few days ago I came across an acoustic guitar web site and they are really into mics and their nuances. This has been very helpful and a good learning experience. Of course, they also talk about mics for vocals, too.

Last edited by John Nantz; October 14th, 2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: added audio file format.
Old October 14th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #19
Inner Circle

"A few days ago I came across an acoustic guitar web site and they are really into mics and their nuances. This has been very helpful and a good learning experience. Of course, they also talk about mics for vocals, too."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum is a good one. I hang there because I'm a fingerstyle guitar player.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old October 14th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #20
Trustee

Ty, re: "The Acoustic Guitar Forum is a good one. I hang there because I'm a fingerstyle guitar player."

If that was you playing, and it probably was, you're a pretty dang good guitar player. I'm impressed!

Back when I was 15, I started playing the guitar and was getting along learning the cords, etc., got "I Walk The Line" down pretty good and a few others. Then at 17 I had a summer job as a carpenter aprentist I managed to cut the very tips of all the fingers off on the left hand with a Skill saw. I was cutting a sheet of plywood on a pair of saw horses and near the end of the cut the plywood sagged, the blade bound, then the saw kicked back.With no sensitivity or callous tips that kinda ended playing for awhile.

The following summer, same construction job (building a complex of doctors offices next door to the County Hospital, I managed to clip every finger tip on the right hand using a table saw. This time it was using a plywood triangle to cut a 45-degree piece and something similar happend, it kicked back.

About 15 years later I finally got back to playing an instrument but this time it was the piano. Callous' not required and finger sensitivity had partially returned. Keys aren't as hard on the finger tips.

Acoustic guitar generally has a really nice sound to it, and this was especially evident when you were micing it the way you did.

"You done good!"
Old October 15th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #21
Inner Circle

John,

OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! My deepest sympathies.

Yes, piano, but you could also make a good slide guitar or pedal steel player.

One of my favorite slide players is Robert Randolph and the Family Band.

There's also lots of Nashville and West Coast slide player who are more traditional.

Yes, that's me playing, thanks. This link has been up a while.

One mic can do a lot.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old October 15th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #22
Trustee

Hi Ty,

Poor Warren Kawamoto, looks like we kinda got his thread sidetracked a little bit, but he's always welcome to jump back in and take control of the conversation and get things back on track.

Bottom video: "Look Ma, I'm Flyin' " Some really nice fingering, and I especially liked the beginning and the end parts.Very delicate.

I was looking for the mic and was that little "lump" on the armrest the mic?

At the moment I've got a number of other brush fires to fight and I'm getting badgered to get OFF the Internet.
Old October 15th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Warren,

Yep. That's the Schoeps cmc641. I have a Countryman E6 on my ear for the few words I say.

I shot that right from a Canon XL2 and into a mac laptop into Quicktime back then.

Turned out pretty good! I added reverb (and a phaser during the C part) in post.

Regards,

Ty
Old October 15th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #24
Major Player

Ty that's beautifully clean audio, and a great piece of guitar playing. How nice to have that sort of tallent.
Old October 15th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Thank you Trevor.

I've been "learning to play" since 1964. The room is the studio in my house. I bought the house because of this room. It's the lower level of a rancher; 7/8ths below ground at the end of two quiet suburban streets. It's ear wiggy quiet in two areas and really quiet in the rest of the space. Only an 8 foot ceiling, but I can get a lot done down there.

Here's a duo in the same space, about six feet from the the couch I was sitting on. I recorded everything with only two mics and added a touch of reverb. The point being, room acoustics are pretty important.

Regards,

Ty
Old October 16th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
Poor Warren Kawamoto, looks like we kinda got his thread sidetracked a little bit, but he's always welcome to jump back in and take control of the conversation and get things back on track.
Thanks for the entertainment! No problem sidetracking, I always love to see projects that are done right. The previous posts provided excellent material to work with, so I'm very happy!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio