You wanna see close mic'ing, watch this............ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 18th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #1
Inner Circle

You wanna see close mic'ing, watch this............

This is how's it's done live with strings and vocals.

Not often I filtch a thread from a News feed, but this one is a corker. Look at that mic'ing!

Short shots (from what I can see) on the instruments, Shure 58's or similar on the vocals.

Discuss.

Ukulele Orchestra Of Great Britain Returns To Carnegie Hall (VIDEOS)

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: You wanna see close mic'ing, watch this............

I felt quite disapointed when I got to the end of the last one. The micing aside, they started on a high with their Good Bad and Ugly theme, but the other songs were almost as good. Not so sure about the Kurt Cobain vocals though.
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Major Player

<<Short shots (from what I can see) on the instruments, Shure 58's or similar on the vocals.>>

It does look like SM-58s for vocals. Short shotguns would not be a good fit for this type of close micing. What those look like to me are possibly a Sennheiser MKH40 or 50 (cardioid or hypercardioid - Sennheiser actually refers to the MKH50 as "supercardioid") small-diaphragm condensers, along with maybe a Royer ribbon mic I can see in a few places? Hard to tell for sure, but definitely not short shotguns. Nice sounds!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The squared off ends is a giveaway on the Senns, and 58s did the trick. what I thought was awful was the fact they used full height boom stands - what a visual mess. Some short stands and booms like you would use on a kick drum would have been so much neater. Sounded nice, but a real lash up. It is actually the kind of thing that you'd see in one-nighter theatre when the rider says 7 vocal mics, 6 ukelele mics and 1 DI - nobody ever mentions stands!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

All vocals look to be SM58's. The instruments vary. There are a number of Sennheiser MKH40 (can tell by the back that it is Sennheiser MKH and the grill looks like a 40 grill) as well as a few other mics. Notably, I saw a Beyer 201 on one of the instruments and a silver mic that is rather difficult to make out. The silver one has a grill that looks somewhat "Royerish" or "Sankenish" but both of those mics would be side address, not front address... Perhaps one of the older AKG mics, but I really don't know what that one is.

The bass on the left is going through a DI.

--Ben
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Dennis View Post
I felt quite disapointed when I got to the end of the last one. The micing aside, they started on a high with their Good Bad and Ugly theme, but the other songs were almost as good. Not so sure about the Kurt Cobain vocals though.
Those with experience in music composing/arranging will appreciate the second video (though don't hold on to your hats to hard on the vocal technique).
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio