SK 100 G3 Battery Powering at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 20th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Major Player

SK 100 G3 Battery Powering

Sorry for the crappy subject title. I'm trying to find out how to power my Senn. G3 Transmitter body-pack from my Remote-Audio BDS? My audio kit is powered by an NP1 style battery. I'm sure there is a cable that will accomplish it.

Thanks,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: SK 100 G3 Battery Powering

You mean one of these............
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/355456-REG/Sennheiser_DC2_DC2_DC_Camera.html
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Brian...thank you for your thoughtful response. That's getting closer, but what I was looking for is a cable that can use the Remote-Audio Battery Distribution System. The R-M BDS is a small "patch panel", that distributes power from an NP style battery.

J.
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm in the same boat.. sort of.. but since the body-pack transmitter (or receiver) gets 10-12 hours out of rechargeables, it's not worth the cost IMHO. I use Sanyo Endloop and Rayovac Hybrid, both of which have very low self-discharge and will go 12 hr's w/o even shutting down for lunch.
The 9V(x2) Lectro receivers are another story.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kuhn View Post
Brian...thank you for your thoughtful response. That's getting closer, but what I was looking for is a cable that can use the Remote-Audio Battery Distribution System. The R-M BDS is a small "patch panel", that distributes power from an NP style battery.

J.
In the small box that fits into the battery compartment is the electronics to convert 12v down to the 3v that is needed by the TX / RX and note it has a flying lead on it to put any sort of connection on to suit the user.
A direct connection to the TX /RX with 12v without that converter will fry the electronics...... DON'T DO IT !!!!!

The cover plate just has a cutout in it to get the cable in.

Last edited by Brian P. Reynolds; November 21st, 2012 at 03:05 AM.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 05:40 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian P. Reynolds View Post
In the small box that fits into the battery compartment is the electronics to convert 12v down to the 3v that is needed by the TX / RX and note it has a flying lead on it to put any sort of connection on to suit the user.
A direct connection to the TX /RX with 12v without that converter will fry the electronics...... DON'T DO IT !!!!!

The cover plate just has a cutout in it to get the cable in.
Yes, you *have* to use the Sennheiser DC adaptor kit.

You then put a connector on the cable that fits your system.
Old November 21st, 2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Major Player

Thank you gentlemen.

J.
Old November 24th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #8
Major Player

I soldered a DC2 to the appropriate BDS cable to do this myself. It works, but there is a ground loop issue that causes a buzz when I connect the g3 to a usb-powered DR-05 recorder powered from the BDS4u. I've been troubleshooting this with Remote Audio and they say they have heard other reports of ground loop issues with the DC2s (which are mini DC/DC inverters that convert from my 12V to 3V).

I'm going to be doing a more exhaustive test later when I have the time to determine whether this problem also occurs when running the g3's into my 302 mixer and/or SD702 recorder which seem more immune to the DC2 ground loop buzz...
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Major Player

Remote-Audio is a great resource! I had them make a custom cable for use with their BDS system to power my Marantz PMD-661. R-M is going to be my next stop for the SK 100 G3 power.

Tom Morrow - please keep the Forum up to speed on your progress. I've dealt with Stephen Reter at R-A, he's "Top-Shelf" as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the info!

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio