Which camera mic for my GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 18th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which camera mic for my GL2

Looking for a camera mic for my GL2. I plan to shoot outdoors only, what suggestions do you have for a mid priced shotgun mic?
Old September 18th, 2005, 06:51 PM   #2
Trustee

What do you consider mid-priced and does that include shock mounting, balanced XLR adapter and wind-protection accessories?
The Rode VideoMic would be on the low-end of cost because it would have the necessary accessories included. It's okay for what it does, but not as good as higher quality mics.
The AT897 or Rode NTG-2 with an XLR adapter and shockmount, plus better wind protection would be next up.
The Sennheiser K6/ME66 would be next cost wise but I'd only recommend it for doing quiet subjects like wildlife. You'd also need the shockmount and wind protection too.
The AT4073a is probably the best of what I would consider mid-priced, but you'd need phantom power in addition to the other accessories I've mentioned.
What do you plan to shoot mostly?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I plan to film wildlife and flyfishing videos. I have the MA 300 adapter.
Old September 19th, 2005, 06:44 AM   #4
Trustee

Best choice audio wise would be a 4073a with a phantom adapter, either an external one and use your MA-300 or the BeachTek DXA-6 and replace your MA-300 entirely.
Next choice would be the Sennheiser K6/ME66. It can run on internal AA battery power and work directly with your XLR adapter. Make sure to allow for a good shockmount and furry windscreen.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio