Sound Professionals You Should Know. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 12th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Sound Professionals You Should Know.

As a photographer and video guy, I look at photo, directorial and DP credits on everything. So my question for you is who are the Kubricks, Lumet, Coppola, Speilberg, et. al, of the sound world. I've taken a keen interest since my indoctrination of audio.

Thanks

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sound Professionals You Should Know.

I don't know if Oscar winning Michael Hopkins counts. He worked with Peter Jackson on the Lord of the Rings movies. He was sadly in the news here at the beginning of the year after drowning in a rafting accident. We have a lot of drowning accidents here. It is the biggest killer of people who wander the wilderness tracks for instance, because the massive rainfall causes rivers to swell so quickly.

Oscar winning sound man Michael Hopkins drowns
Old January 13th, 2013, 03:25 AM   #3
Trustee

Sound is a lot more complicated and can take a lot more time so it tends to be a team effort lead by a sound designer or supervisor, we also tend to have smaller ego's so usually credit the whole team involved.
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Doug Oade, Ty Ford, Gary Nattrass and others. I suppose that whole 'Oscar' things means something, too. Heh, heh! Just teasing about the 'Oscar' thing, but the collective audio wisdom on this Forum is pretty impressive.

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Trevor.

I read about Michael Hopkins last week. Young guy too.

Gary- interesting point. When I did a search for "movie credits" (Wiki) it seems the studios used to "Sound Recording". I'm also looking at terms like "Sound Designer" (which maybe post prod?), "Sound recordist"and "Sound Editor", which also sounds like post.

Obviously much more goes into sound than just the input. Thus the reason for video post production and sound production studios. And foley, and sound effects.

I guess my question would be who would be to sound what a DP is to picture. Maybe no easy answer, and can't compare. Just curious.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Trustee

There will be sound recordists or production mixers, boom op' s and sound assistants for location.

sound or dubbing editors, foley artists and recorders, sound designers, dubbing or re- recording mixers and even EDL wranglers to name a few as you may have a crew of a few or many depending on the production!

In the USA most films are mixed or dubbed using several people and three person dubbing or re- recording is quite common, in the UK we tend to just have a dubbing mixer and an assistant with others for ADR, foley and sound editing to prep the dialogue, sound effects and music tracks!

Last edited by Gary Nattrass; January 13th, 2013 at 02:07 PM.
Gary Nattrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #7
Trustee

In some ways sound is like picture and in other ways it is different.

As others here have mentioned sound is usually a team effort with perhaps dozens or scores of people with critical contributions to producing the final tracks.

However picture is the same way. You see awards to directors or cinematographers, but the director or camera operator (or producer for that matter) would be nowhere without something to aim the camera at. And that means casting, location, lighting, set dressing, art direction, etc. etc. ad nauseum. And increasingly picture is becoming more like sound where so much of the "picture" is virtual (CGI) and created from whole cloth completely in post-production and never passed through a camera lens.

The last 10 minutes of "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" were the credit roll(!)
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Major Player

Here is a local sound guy I did some work with many years ago and would fit into the theme of the thread....

Film artist dusts off sound skills - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Hollywood gone bush - Yahoo!7 TV
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio