5D MKIII audio - lav mics/external recorders - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 20th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: 5D MKIII audio - lav mics/external recorders

Jonnie - here's my 2 cents (not worth much anymore is it?)

Disclaimer: Jonnie, please realize I'm a hobbyest, not a pro, so consider the source.

At the end of the day you have to figure out for yourself what makes sense (and "cents") for your situation. It's a balancing act between co$t, availability (sometimes you can find good used stuff available for cheap), and needs (both now and in the future). These are just my thoughts and, as they say, "your mileage may vary."

I look at this as one building my "toolbox" and not as "the solution." In my case I'm going to be doing a lot of different kinds of videos and not just one type. Someone who does news interviews professionally may be doing basically "one type" of video work, or if not, probably a more limited type, but my videos are going to be "all over the map" so to speak. Everything from family videos, recording of musicians (recital & live performance), sailing videos (from on-board and maybe with a GoPro on a kite even), real estate (for sale, only relatives property), etc., so I'm going to need a toolbox of equipment to choose from.

Whatever I get now may be useful in some other application so I've been in an equipment application mode. That's starting to taper off, though, partly because of my Significan Other questioning purchases. As I learn more (remember, I'm just a hobbyest) I'll start spinning off some of my acquisitions. In fact, I've already done some of that.

Maybe that'll help set the background. Moving along......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Lewis View Post
My inclination is still to go for an external recorder. I can see that it's handy to use a pre-amp to keep on top of the audio more seamlessly, but I'm trying to future-proof by pre-empting a time where I'll need my lav mic to be 'wireless'. Having an external recorder would allow me to plant it on my subject and have them move around freely without cables in the shot/trailing along the floor to my camera.
No problem and sounds good. Acquiring equipment is to err on the side of the angles! (hey, it's not my money!)

Quote:
Please correct me if you think there's anything that I'm forgetting, but I think my best option is to buy a wired lav mic with 3.5mm cable/jack and plug it straight into my camera and see how I get on...
Reply: Again, speaking partly from my situation, I don't see anything wrong with that. A wired lav is a lot cheaper than a wireless one for the same sound quality. For me, there are always places where I can use the one I'm in the process of getting but having said that I'm still on the hunt for a deal on a Sennheiser ENG system. Yea, that's the most expensive one but thinking of "future proofing" I think it'll allow flexibility. There are a lot of other Sennheiser USA - ew 100 G3 Series – Lavalier / Lapel Receiver Transmitter Systems lavalier systems and starting with one would allow one to add on to what you have.

"The devil is in the details" and by taking one's time to research this you not only learn more but can make a better decision or vindicate the one you've made.

Quote:
Presumably by using a preamp like the JuicedLink and routing the audio into your camera, it all gets recorded onto one audio track?
I don't know for sure, but I think that all the JuicedLinks are stereo or better (i.e., 4-channels). Mine is the cheapest model (now discontinued but they have come up with new accessories for it) and it has 2-channel capability.

Thanks to the switches and controls on the JuicedLink one can switch it over to one channel if you want, and there are, of course, separate gain controls for each channel. On my camera both channels are recorded onto a single audio track.

Cables: Right-angle cable ends are your friend. The straight-in ones are easier to break off or even ruin the jack they plug into.

XLR connections: Locking connectors are good because they don't accidentally come apart. The ones on the JuicedLink are locking.

I'm going to try and post a few pictures of the CX211 to show the jacks and switches. The patch of blue is some "anti-skid" material to help prevent the JuicedLink from turning (I hate the thought of over-tightening the screws and perhaps ruining something) and it also helps to protect the cosmetics on the bottom of the camera.

The first picture shows how my wiring is set up. the XLR comes from the mic. I've got some cables that run about 30 feet so there is flexibility. Neutrik is a good popular connector and they're made in Liechtenstein. Your trivia for the day. The 9V battery is shown removed. The 3.5mm 2-channel cable goes from the preamp output to the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
5D MKIII audio - lav mics/external recorders-000_1970.jpg   5D MKIII audio - lav mics/external recorders-000_1972.jpg  

5D MKIII audio - lav mics/external recorders-100_9900.jpg   5D MKIII audio - lav mics/external recorders-100_9904.jpg  

Last edited by John Nantz; January 20th, 2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: deleted a few words about the bottom of the JuicedLink case
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:04 PM   #17
New Boot

Re: 5D MKIII audio - lav mics/external recorders

Steve - thanks for clearing up my poor use of terminology, and John - thanks for such a detailed response.

Much appreciated as always!

Like you, John, I'm always trying to steadily build up equipment while making sure that it's not going to be redundant after realising I should've done something else.

Another user posted up saying he uses a Sony ECM-44B with an XLR to mini stereo adapter (right angled) with his 5D MKIII. It seems like a pretty good option to me as it's XLR which seems to be the best cabled option and because pre-amps and the Zoom H4n/Tascam external recorders can accept multiple XLR inputs.

Seems a safe bet for both now and the future to me...! I think my only final thoughts lie with how I'd tackle multi-person interviews - I guess I'd either revert to my shotgun mic or invest in a second wired lav and sit an external recorder in between the two interviewees. If there were any more than two I could always use two shotgun mics... if I had to do any walking around while interviewing I think that would be a good time to hire a sound guy...!
Jonnie Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio