DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   AT831R Lav and H4N? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/513794-at831r-lav-h4n.html)

Rafael Lopes January 26th, 2013 02:48 PM

AT831R Lav and H4N?

Guys,

Does anyone have any experience with this Lavalier and the H4N together? I suppose I can just plug it into the In-Line Power Module (AT8533) and then plug the In-Line Power Module straight into the H4N XLR port, right? I was thinking of getting 2 of these for a series of 2 people interviews and another series of 2 people sketches that I have ahead.

Rick Reineke January 26th, 2013 04:08 PM

Re: AT831R Lav and H4N?

Yes, that should work if the power module is hard-wired or has a compatible connector for the mic.
Unless your getting them used or NOS, the AT8533 is discontinued, according to AT,

Rafael Lopes January 26th, 2013 07:24 PM

The AT8533 comes with the AT831R. But I think the newest power module is the AT8537.

If I use the lav mics that donīt come with a power module I can still use them with the the H4N by using its phantom power supply instead, right?

Any tips on a nice lav mic under us$200 that I can plug directly on the H4Ns XLR ports?

Jay Massengill January 26th, 2013 08:31 PM

For the AT831R, the "power module" doesn't make power. It uses the phantom power that comes from the mic input on the H4n. So you have to have both.
Some power modules for lavalier mics can also run from an internal AA battery.
In any case, the power module has the XLR connector so you can't do without it if connecting to an XLR mic input.
There are many wired lavalier mics with XLR connector for $200 or less. Look at an online vendor like B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders to see many examples.

Rafael Lopes January 27th, 2013 03:35 AM

What about these guys: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/581525-REG/MXL_FR_355K_FR_355K_Lavalier_Interview_Microphone.htmlIn one side you have the mic and the on the other you have an XLR...canīt I feed it power by just plugging it directly on the H4Nīs XLR input?

Steve House January 27th, 2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes (Post 1775555)
What about these guys: MXL FR-355K Lavalier Interview Microphone Kit FR-355K B&H Photo
In one side you have the mic and the on the other you have an XLR...canīt I feed it power by just plugging it directly on the H4Nīs XLR input?

Yes, that particular microphone is hard-wired to the XLR power module and you can plug it into any mic input the provides phantom power. The power module components inside the XLR plug drops the 48 volt phantom down to the 5 volts the mic capsule actually operates on.

Greg Miller January 27th, 2013 07:59 PM

But read the customer reviews before making a final decision.

Rafael Lopes January 28th, 2013 03:04 AM

I ended up getting a pair of AT831R, which already come with the power module (AT8533). Iīve listened to some samples and reviews on youtube that sounded great for my needs.

I suppose the power module that comes with the AT831R also drops the 48volt phantom down to the 5 volts the mic capsule actually operates on, right? I donīt want to fry my new mics.

Greg Miller January 28th, 2013 10:08 AM

Yes, that is the purpose of the power module. The specs say it will operate with phantom voltage from +9 to +52 volts, so it should work with a wide range of recorders and mixers.

Rafael Lopes January 28th, 2013 12:27 PM

Appreciated, Greg.

Greg Miller January 28th, 2013 09:06 PM

Rafael, I'm glad you were able to find the -R version in stock. Several stores' websites up here indicate that it's out of production.

I wonder whether anyone makes a generic Phantom to Plug-In-Power adapter, that would work with run-of-the mill PIP mics. Seems to me that would be a handy gadget to have in one's kit bag.

John Nantz January 28th, 2013 11:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While this is not exactly "on topic", I am very happy with this little AT899 lavalier omni mic I picked up today. It was used but apparently very gently. Two of the accessory bags hadn't even been opened and they threw in the 10-ft XLR to 3.5mm stereo mini all for $55.

Since I didn't have a lavalier in my kit this will fill a hole and make a nice addition to my mic (and cable) tool box. Did a quickie test and it worked very nice.

The mic is much smaller than I thought it would be and the wire .... is really small. And kinda springy. It's a bit of a challenge to coil up. It has a very nice clip accessory kit and really small foam covers.

The power module is an AT8537. The mic is apparently an older model and I had some difficulty finding information about it before I opted to buy it.

Hopefully this makes the "a wired lavalier is better than a wireless one" people happy.

(I'm still on the hunt for a wireless, though.)

Rick Reineke January 29th, 2013 08:46 AM

I have had a AT899 for 10 or more years now, while it sounds good , I don't much like the stiff cable or the OEM mounting design, so I don't use it much. I understand AT changed to more pliable cable stock, so John may have an earlier. model. Either way, $55 is a great deal, especially with the power module.

John Nantz January 29th, 2013 11:33 AM

Rick - you're correct, it is older. The gal I bought it from had retired from doing video work and was selling off her gear. She said they were downsizing and she had no use for it anymore.

The Power Module battery compartment was nice and clean with no battery residue. There is one little thing I noticed, though, and that is the switch for the bass rolloff seems to be a little depressed because it doesn't stick up above the surface of the cylinder. Don't know if this is the way it's supposed to be or not. No big deal but it does make it a little more difficult to move.

Power Module: Even though the system got between a 4.5 and a 5 start rating, one of the negatives people mentioned was the Power Module and the difficulty of dealing with it but there weren't many suggestions about how to handle it. Any suggestions?

Mic: All I can say is, this mic is really small. Really, really small. A guy could become a secret agent with this. Good open mic gear?

This is my first AT mic. The others are a ME66, ME64, and the Rode Stereo Video Mic. Besides a wireless lavalier I'm also looking for one, and probably two, vocal mics.

Jay Massengill January 29th, 2013 01:23 PM

The switch is supposed to be completely beneath the surface so it can't be moved unless you really want to change it, with a very small tool.