Decent audio recorder for my Sound Devices 422 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 26th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Decent audio recorder for my Sound Devices 422

I'm looking for a decent audio recorder for my Sound Devices 422. I typically only use my mixer in combination with my camera, but it would be nice to do foley work and other stuff without the camera in tow. Any suggestions? I don't need anything too fancy.
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Decent audio recorder for my Sound Devices 422

I'm happy with my Sony PCM-D50 used in combination with a mixpre.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Bob,

I'm actually looking for a 442 to go with my Tascam DR-680. I'm thinking I could take the direct outs of the 442 to capture up to 4 separate channels as well as take the post fade mix into two more channels. With the multiple outputs of the 442 it would be be perfect on multicam shoots.

The DR-680 is a pretty good overall recorder. I've also got a Sony D50 and love it too.
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Major Player

I'll throw my $0.02. I like my Marantz PMD-661, it's got a nice "readable" view-screen and standard XLR connectors; however, it is larger than a lot of other recorders.

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice guys! Does anyone have experience with Zoom products? I was thinking about this cheapo recorder: Zoom H4n Handy Mobile 4-Track Recorder ZH4N B&H Photo Video

I'm not typically in the habit of buying cheap when it comes to gear but the frequency in which I plan on using this equipment, I'm tempted. It's got a lot of great reviews.
Old February 27th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The XLR inputs on the H4n are mic level. It's 1/4" inputs are unbalanced -10dB line level.. both of which the 442 can output, however they still go through it's 'less than stellar' preamps either way The 422's direct outs are +4dB (nominal), so attenuation would be needed at mic OR -10dB.
The Tascam DR40 and 100mkII are better recorders IMO. Both can input balanced +4dB, but can only record two descent tracks. The Tascam DR40 actually can record four.. but two are redundant tracks at a lower level.
I have a 302, 744 and DR40. All input parameters being equal from the 302, I can hear no audible difference between the recorders.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Rick, for this detailed response. You've given me some things to think about. The 100mkII is not much more than the Zoom.
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Major Player

Bob, I have a Korg MR-1000 2-channel recorder that I was doing to soon offer up for sale, but since you're looking, I thought I'd mention it here first. Before I purchased my current recorder, I used a Sound Devices 302 into the Korg. I was/is a wonderful combination, particularly with the ability to downmix from Korg's stunning "1-bit" recording format to whatever you want. If you're interested, PM me. No worries if you don't. ;)
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:06 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Bob,

Can I presume you mean a 442? Sell it and with the proceeds, buy a 664.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:13 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Yes, you may presume.

I'm not a sound man by trade. I have the gear to facilitate my shoots and on occasion I do sound for a few associates. It works great for me. Does everything I need and much more. I'd rather not invest in gear just to keep up with the Jones's.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:42 AM   #11
Inner Circle

sell the 442 for $1200 to offset the cost, buy the 664.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:15 AM   #12
Major Player

I agree about selling off the 442 - but also consider the AETA 4MinX as well as the 664 (the 664 is very wide).

In the UK the price of the 4MinX is very close to the 664 (slightly more) and a lot more flexible.

Though, in the US this may all be wiped out by the import duty of the 4MinX over the home-made 664.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:53 AM   #13
Major Player

If you don't take Ty's advice, I've come to really like the Marantz PMD-661. I had a zoom, didn't like it, too many compromises, though the sound quality, once in, was fine. The unit died after two years of standard use. The PMD seems very rugged (get it's case, it's worth it).

But I would suggest that you consider your uses. I do a lot of videos of musical acts on stages. I prefer having the sound man do the mix down and feed me via the 661. I also use it as backup recorder when mixing one or two mics in the field. I can get a cleaner signal with not a lot of weight, and the separate mixer and recorder allow me to mount them in more flexible configurations (I sometimes mount them all on a shoulder rig, but not often.) Carrying around a 664 seems like overkill to me for much of my needs. But you already have a 4 to 2 field mixer, and you can feed almost anything with it. So what are you using it for? If you have to feed a variety of mics into one unit, then yes, take Ty's advice. If you only need an occassional 4 inputs, and usually two, then stay with what you have and augment it with a flexible recorder.

The 664 seems like a great unit.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:53 AM   #14
Trustee

Hey Bob,

If you do end up selling your 442 I may be in the market for one. I will know in about a week to a week and a half.

Keep me in mind if you do.

Garrett
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #15
Tourist

I'm not a pro, just an enthusiastic amateur, but I will volunteer that the Zoom H4n is ubiquitous on micro-budget movies and Web serieses. I have researched it a bit, and at the same level and price the Tascam DR-100 Mk II seems like a better item. The XLR connectors have locks, and the input can be switched between mic and line. Does anybody have any on-the-ground experience with this unit?
Damian T. Lloyd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio