Shure FP 33 mixer to Nikon D800e- best solution? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 10th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Shure FP 33 mixer to Nikon D800e- best solution?

Any advice for this? I just picked up a D800e and was wondering the best way to do this. I know, AGC OFF probably. I'm pretty sure the input on camera is line unbalanced.

Thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Shure FP 33 mixer to Nikon D800e- best solution?

The Fp33 has a 3.5mm 'Tape Out' socket that would work, so all you will need is a 3.5mm - 3.5mm stereo cable to connect the 2 units together.

IF the camera is MIC level ONLY input and can't be switched to line level.... there are instructions of how to change the mixer to 'Mic' level in the Shure FP33 manual. (the FP33 is 'line level' as a factory preset)

Google 'Shure FP33 manual PDF'

Last edited by Brian P. Reynolds; March 10th, 2013 at 08:17 PM.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If you don't already have an FP33, maybe a Sound Devices Mixpre or MM-1 would do the job and save you some money.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #4
Trustee

The D800e manual only mentions microphone level and the ability to adjust the sensitivity manually.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys.

I already own the FP33. I can't find anything in the manual about line/mic input for that input. I did read on some other forum where someone thought that it was an unbalanced line in, but I can I can't confirm.

I'll try a 3.5mm stereo cable.

Jonathan
Old March 11th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin View Post
Thanks guys.

I already own the FP33. I can't find anything in the manual about line/mic input for that input. I did read on some other forum where someone thought that it was an unbalanced line in, but I can I can't confirm.

I'll try a 3.5mm stereo cable.

Jonathan
Nikon specs describe the external audio input as being for an external stereo microphone such as Nikon's ME-1 mic. It is definitely mic level. The jack's wiring should be standard stereo unbalanced with left on tip, right on ring, common ground on sleeve. You'll need a hefty pad to avoid overloading the camera input if you don't adjust your mixer to provide a mic level output. As an FYI, you'll probably find that even if you do everything right, the sound you get is going to be fairly marginal anyway. DSLR's just don't cut the mustard on the audio side of things and you really need to go double system to obtain sound quality as good as the video they shoot.
Old March 11th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #7
Major Player

Another option is make / get made 2 x XLR(F) to 3.5mm stereo plug to go from the XLR o/p's of the mixer with it's o/p at mic level to your camera.

I have often made cables like this and the best way seems to wire up the 3.5mm plug (stereo) take this single cable to the first XLR (L) and wire the appropriate connections then with a short loop cable to the second XLR (R) ...with appropriate connections. This way its a very neat connection between the mixer to camera.

It might be simpler doing it that way than modifying your mixer at circuit board component level.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:13 AM   #8
Major Player

Steve thanks. Brian, the xlr to 3.5 seems like a reasonable option if I use the D800 for any sound. To modify the FP33 so that the tape output is mic level involves some internal soldering work, or by using a pad as you and others have suggested.

I order a six foot xlr to 3.5 from Redco, tell them my intent.

Thanks.

Jonathan
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Inner Circle

If the FP 33 is like the other FP series mixers, there's mic/line switches by the XLRs, so no soldering should be needed unless you're making the cables. The XLR mic/line switches would have no affect on the 'Tape out' connection.
'Typically' when going from balanced to unbalanced XLR pins 1 and 3 are tied together, except on Sound Device's XLR outs, where they recommend floating pin 3.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Major Player

Rick,

Just to clarify, the xlr outs on the FP33 are switchable line/mic. It's the tape out on the mixer that is not switchable unless you do a little surgery. I believe the default for the tape out is line.

I ordered a six foot xlr l-r to 3.5 TRS so I'll see how that works. Cost: $35.00US

Jonathan
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Trustee

That should handle the plumbing.

If you find yourself in a situation where you have to use the line outputs to feed a mic input, you should carry one or more 30db in-line pads. They will let you drop a line level low enough to feed a mic input with enough gain control left to be usable.

FWIW.
Old March 14th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks for that Bill.
Old March 15th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #13
Trustee

Most people who do sound OP should have some attenuators and these are variable so should cover most things: ATT-448 Hosa XLR Mic Input Attenuator 3 20/30/40 dB Microphone Pad - 4-Pack! | eBay
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #14
Inner Circle

The Hosa 448 are relatively cheap and handy to have. The 4-pack on eBay appears to be a good deal, but the $20 shipping is excessive and likely more expensive than buying form B&H; $11.60USD They and the usual suspect would likely give you a discount for multiples as well.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
The Hosa 448 are relatively cheap and handy to have. The 4-pack on eBay appears to be a good deal, but the $20 shipping is excessive and likely more expensive than buying form B&H; $11.60USD They and the usual suspect would likely give you a discount for multiples as well.
I am in the UK so the shipping is shown for my region, to the USA it would be a lot less or possibly even free!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio