How to bring XLR to a GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 21st, 2005, 03:35 PM   #1
Tourist

How to bring XLR to a GL2

I've got an AT3130 condenser mic I'd like to attach to my GL2's mic jack. The mic is connected to this phantom power supply:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

and then to my GL2 through an XLR to mini adaptor:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

With this setup, the camera records a very loud hiss. It's not room noise, it's white noise. Furthermore, when I capture the sound to edit the visible waveforms are very very low in amplitude. The peaks aren't even 1/4 of the available "headroom." It looks like the mike isn't outputting it's full signal and a small amount of noise comes across just as loud as my target.

I'm new to using phantom powered/XLR mics so I don't know what might be causing my problem.

I've switched the attenuators on the GL2 and on the mic without any improvement.

Grateful for any insights,
Rhett
Rhett Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 02:23 PM   #2
Tourist

I think I've solved it. My XLR-mini adaptor cable is a balanced cable. I rewired the connector and the audio is much improved. I imagine that using a proper adaptor would do even better but for now I've taken care of the hissing.

Last edited by Rhett Jackson; September 22nd, 2005 at 08:31 PM.
Rhett Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 06:41 AM   #3
Trustee

I use the beachtek box with my GL1. It gives you 2 seperate line or mic inputs with volume control on each.
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 12:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett Jackson
I think I've solved it. My XLR-mini adaptor cable is a balanced cable. I rewired the connector and the audio is much improved. I imagine that using a proper adaptor would do even better but for now I've taken care of the hissing.
you might need to block dc 3v bias which supplied by the camera for electret mikes with couple capacitors to prevent noise and hum
this is alredy made cable for example
http://www.trewaudio.com/catalog/items/item312.htm
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio