Going from SD 442 to 552? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Trustee

Going from SD 442 to 552?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of selling my SD 442 and getting a 552. The main reason I'm thinking about it is to have post fade direct outs. I'm sending the direct outs to a Tascam DR-680 which is great because it gives me 4 discrete channels and I can still get the mix recorded too. The only thing I wish the 442 had was the option to have post fade direct outs. I'm finding I'm recording more small ensemble music sessions and keeping the separate direct outs is a real plus.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. The cost for the extra channel and post fade direct outs would be about $1000 if I can find a good used 552.

Thanks,
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Going from SD 442 to 552?

Why are you wanting post fader direct outs..... doesn't this defeat the purpose of direct outs?

Im looking at upgrading my recorder and thinking of the DR680 like you have, Im thinking the 4 direct outs of the SD442 into Tascam 1-4 and the mix O/P from the TA3 sockets into Ch 5&6..
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Trustee

Brian, I am doing exactly what you are thing. I take the 4 direct outs to channels 1 through 4 on the DR-680. Then I have the mixed out going into 5 and 6.

The reason for the post fade directs is to keep the discrete channels while having the fine adjustments of the channel fader. The gain control is a course adjustment and doesn't give me the ability to make slight adjustments. The other thing is that I believe on the 442 the direct outs only go through the input limiter and you do not have the benefit of the output limiter.

I know this is not typical for most people but it is something that comes in very handy for live recording sessions of bands. The 552 gives you the choice of either pre or post fade and would give me the ability to ride the levels a bit when an especially loud or soft passage is coming up. The 552 is one of the few serious field mixers that I've seen that has this option.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Major Player

What about going for the SD 664 and do it all in one package?
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Trustee

Thought about going the 664 route. I know a lot of people that are. But, for me I like the meters on the 552 better and the added cost for going to the 664 doesn't seem justified. It is one sweat piece of gear though. I also wish that they would have made it able to record at 95kHz.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio