Shortening Audio Technica 3350 wire at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 27th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Shortening Audio Technica 3350 wire

As most of us know, the Audio Technica 3350 lav mic is a pretty popular mic for those "budget" videographers. The sound is ok, not the best, but does pretty good at it's relatively cheap price.....However the 25 foot wire is a pain in the $%&! Does anyone know of any tutorials on shortening this wire? Like splicing it and reattaching it somehow?
Kelly Huffaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Shortening Audio Technica 3350 wire

Judging by a picture of the mic, the wire would need to be cut and re-connected at the battery module. Probably relatively easy for anyone experienced in working with small shielded cables and soldering circuit board connections. I would not recommend a novice attempt this.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Why cut it and chance destroying it. Make a few loops and batten it down with a wire tie. The flexible kind that holds all of our wire together when we buy a new toy. That way should you need to go long for any reason you still have that option.
Old April 27th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

A good trick for shortening cables without wrecking them is to use heat shrink sleeving. Wrap the surplus cable around the preamp, in a tight wrap. When you have the right length of cable left, a dab of tape to hold it, then put the heat shrink on, and use the hot air gun to secure the wrap. If at some stage in the future you need to restore the length, just carefully remove it with snips!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Trustee

That's an interesting idea. But do you mean put heat shrink around the whole preamp (with the included wire)? That would be a damned big size of heat shrink.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Inner Circle

yep - around the entire thing. You can get heat shrink in all kinds of sizes, including big enough to waterproof xlrs, or RF connectors. The stuff I have was intended to go over N type cable connectors, and is available in transparent as well as black, so you can put it around the entire preamp and it keeps it neat and today and stops the cable unwinding. Looks a bit odd, but does the trick. Either that, or you could use self-amalgamating tape, which works just as well, but is a bit 'rubbery' and more tricky to remove.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #7
Trustee

OK, just wanted to be sure I understood what you were suggesting.

But with that particular mic, don't you have to open up the preamp to change the button cell? wouldn't that mean you need to remove the shrink and cabling, etc., every time you needed a new cell?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Huffaker View Post
As most of us know, the Audio Technica 3350 lav mic is a pretty popular mic for those "budget" videographers. The sound is ok, not the best, but does pretty good at it's relatively cheap price.....However the 25 foot wire is a pain in the $%&! Does anyone know of any tutorials on shortening this wire? Like splicing it and reattaching it somehow?
Is the long cable the one going from the power supply to the 1/8 plug? If so, it should be easy enough to cut the cable to the desired length and solder a new plug on the end. All you'd need would be a standard 1/8 stereo plug from the Shack. And if you cut the wire and then discover it's something too difficult for you to solder, at a replacement cost of $17 from Amazon or B&H it's no big loss.
Old April 27th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ya know, i might just be better off buying a different lav mic now!!
Kelly Huffaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 03:47 AM   #10
Inner Circle

yes - but they last for ages and ages - my AT managed months and months - and I always found I needed to regain the extra length every now and then anyway.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio