Early MicroTrack 24/96 Reviews... - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 19th, 2005, 10:47 PM   #46
Regular Crew

For those who have the Microtrack, what are your impressions given the Oct 7 firmware?
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #47
Inner Circle

I just purchased it yesterday and hope to do a more complete review in the near future. Most of the reviews I've read are suspect at best (people complaining about the color and not being able to stand it up on it's edge...)
My main interest is in recording 16bit 48khz audio of human speech (as a second to a video camera, and/or for podcasting). I have no interest at this time indoing 24/96 unless somone invites me to record a string quartet or something.

This is not a prosumer device and actually does well with someone whos knows what they are doing.
Certainly not perfect, but not a bomb either.

BTW, Spot if you are reading the posts, I would be more than willing to send you my unit for a full and proper field test. Just email me and let me know.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney
I just purchased it yesterday and hope to do a more complete review in the near future. Most of the reviews I've read are suspect at best (people complaining about the color and not being able to stand it up on it's edge...)
My main interest is in recording 16bit 48khz audio of human speech (as a second to a video camera, and/or for podcasting). I have no interest at this time indoing 24/96 unless somone invites me to record a string quartet or something.

This is not a prosumer device and actually does well with someone whos knows what they are doing.
Certainly not perfect, but not a bomb either.

BTW, Spot if you are reading the posts, I would be more than willing to send you my unit for a full and proper field test. Just email me and let me know.
People are complaining a lot more about more important things than color and not being able to stand up, those are trivial issues compared to some others. And the comment "the device does well with someone who knows what they are doing" is totally off-base.

I know a whole bunch of experienced audio people using this device, and they are having mixed results. Some people are having no problems at all, and others are having serious deal-killer problems with their units. Most of the issues have to do with what hardware you are connecting to (pres, a/d's, etc.) and how you are connecting (digital or analog) and what format you are recording with (16/44, 16/48, 24/xx, etc.). The firmware helped, and issues are getting resolved, and the unit shows a lot of potential, but don't kid yourself here, depending on what you're doing with it and what hardware you're going to use with it, and what format you are recording in, people's experiences are varying from great to unuasable.

Like I said in some earlier posts in this thread, if you want to read a load of first-hand, real-world experiences with this unit, you should check out TapersSection.com. People on that board have been testing the unit for quite a while now.
Old November 7th, 2005, 03:58 PM   #49
Inner Circle

I don't think I'm way off base, but I'll check out the web site anyway.
If you want to turn this into a flame fest, well, you're going to have to do it without me.
Most of those posts came before the Oct 7 firmware update, or were using a beta version of everything (which stinks on the part of M-audio IHMO).

The firmware update definitely helps, but I stand by what many quick adopters are saying, which is nonsense. Many refused to use the 320 KB MP3 codec instead of wav which made me doubt them.

If you are looking to record a full orchestra, I don't think this thing will come close, but for what I'm using it for it's great. If phantom power isn't what it should be, I would probably get a batter powered mic if possible though I can see that being a deal killer for some.

Just try to find the best price on line if possible.

I haven't tried out the SP/DIF interface yet, but according to several posts it works as it should with the new firmware update.

I also offered Spot or anyone with pro credentials to try out my unit if they can't get their hands on one for a review. I don't pretend to know everything about this thing, just what I need it for. I'll send it, give you a couple of weeks to put it through it's paces and give a balanced review.

Any takers?
Old November 7th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Finally received my unit a couple weeks ago after having it pre-ordered for about 2 months. I upgraded to the latest firmware. I was not happy with the unit and sent it back. Barely got 2.5 hours using "pht" power. It "froze" on me once. I had trouble with the navigation/selection switch. Seemed a bit flaky to me. Maybe I had a bad unit.

All devices have their quirks and everyone looks for different things. I guess I expected too much from this little device. I really liked the size and layout of the unit. I'm sure M-Audio will get it lined out.

For now, I ordered a PDM-660 from Oade Brothers with the basic mod. Received it Thursday and used it on a shoot Saturday. So far, I am very pleased with this unit. If you get the PDM-660, I highly recommend (as others have) getting it from Oade Brothers.
Sheila Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #51
Inner Circle

Thanks for the input. I hope to use mine with a friend at an upcoming laptop music battle in the DC area. If it craps out, then I'll return it.

I wonder how this thing would work hooked up to a battery powered BeachTek device?
Old November 9th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Ward
Finally received my unit a couple weeks ago after having it pre-ordered for about 2 months. I upgraded to the latest firmware. I was not happy with the unit and sent it back. Barely got 2.5 hours using "pht" power. It "froze" on me once. I had trouble with the navigation/selection switch. Seemed a bit flaky to me. Maybe I had a bad unit.

All devices have their quirks and everyone looks for different things. I guess I expected too much from this little device. I really liked the size and layout of the unit. I'm sure M-Audio will get it lined out.

For now, I ordered a PDM-660 from Oade Brothers with the basic mod. Received it Thursday and used it on a shoot Saturday. So far, I am very pleased with this unit. If you get the PDM-660, I highly recommend (as others have) getting it from Oade Brothers.
Hey, I'm not starting a flame war, so don't take it that way, that's not how it was intended. What I am saying, is that a lot of VERY knowledgeable people on TapersSection have been hammering away at that device at home and in the field, and you will be hard-pressed to find more current and accurate information than the info pouring out of those threads. Loads of people, loads of testing, loads of different applications, analog in, digi-in, pairing with various pre's, ad's, and mixers, etc.

So, the poster quoted above represents EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Freezes for no reason. Phantom issues for certain mics that require a full 48v. Really short battery life. Screen/meters freaking out after long periods of recording. Problems with digi-inputs at high bit rates / sample rates and with certain devices feeding it. Analog inputs at 16-bit seem to be the most reliable application right now. As for MP3, I wouldn't know, I never record masters to MP3, only to WAV, then later if I need a lossy version, I'll encode to MP3.

That said, this device is working for some people for some applications without incident (analog in, 16-bit, mics that can run on 30v or less), and things can only get better as more firmware is released. So, I am still hopeful about this device, and I am actually positive on it believe it or not. But don't kid yourself about there not being any problems, because there are still some significant ones depending on how you plan on using the unit.

So, please don't take this as a flame, I'm just trying to make sure people reading this thread are getting the best information available before they possibly make a purchase.
Old November 9th, 2005, 11:16 PM   #53
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
If you want to turn this into a flame fest, well, you're going to have to do it without me.
Just a friendly reminder, we do NOT do "flame fests" here at DV Info Net. Our policy about this is very firm. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 11:16 AM   #54
Inner Circle

I know Chris, thats what I meant.

Bill, sorry if I misinterpreted your remarks and yes I went over to the web site and saw more balanced reviews.
I have no intention of using it for anything but 16bit 48khz stereo recording. Seems anything above that requires even more equipment, (like microphones I can't afford...) sort of defeating the purpose.

My real worry now is at this upcoming laptop music battle, it gets pretty loud.

On the other hand if it doesn't work out, I may buy a Beachtek dx10 unit and hook it up to my Iriver HD media player which has a 20gig HD and cd quality recording capabilites. Just makes for 2 boxes instead of 1.
Right now I wish I hadn't sold my old IHP 120 to a friend. The new H10 doesn't have all the capabilities of the old.
Old November 11th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #55
Inner Circle

After some intial testing, I've found one frustrating thing. You can't hot swap memory cards. If you try, it will freeze up and not record(it will give the message memory card full). You have to power down insert then power up.

Good news is Sonys' new compact flash compatible disk drive that holds 5 gigs and has a 12MB transfer rate. Don't know how that will affect power usage though.
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
After some intial testing, I've found one frustrating thing. You can't hot swap memory cards. If you try, it will freeze up and not record(it will give the message memory card full). You have to power down insert then power up.

Good news is Sonys' new compact flash compatible disk drive that holds 5 gigs and has a 12MB transfer rate. Don't know how that will affect power usage though.
Yup. Well known at TS. Also, it has been hit or miss brand by brand on the microdrive front. Some are working great, others are having problems (even when theoretically the drive had good enough specs and should have worked). There also has been some discussion of the "next" firmware release. People at TS have posted direct comments from communications with M-Audio. There's no commitment, but the rumor-mill is saying something like within the next month, and it'll be an even bigger set of fixes. So, here's hoping that is true! :)
Old November 11th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #57
Inner Circle

Yes, the TS site is a goldmine. I just spent some time learning how to make portable external power packs for the MT2496. Some people are expecting 24hr record times with their setups.

I do hold with an earlier comment I made. Those that really know what they are doing are having success with their units (attenuators anyone?), unless it has a manufacturers defect. They are also helping others learn how to get the best out of the unit. And yes, the prospect of another good firmware update has got everyone over there excited.
Who thought l/m/h meant low medium high? Not in the docs, hehehe.

Great site if you can get past what they are using their skills for.
Old November 11th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Great site if you can get past what they are using their skills for.
Careful... No stereotyping please... <SMILE>

But seriously, plenty of bands permit OPEN TAPING, and are "Taper Friendly." They have stated taping policies, such as taping permitted, trading permitted as long as no commercial uses or profits are being made. The most famous of these policies is probably the Grateful Dead, and more recently DAVE MATTHEWS. Dave even credits taping as part of the reason why he's become so popular, it helped him break out of a hardcore local following and blow up into a national star. Anyway, I just wanted to set the record straight, there is a difference between open taping and stealth taping, you find both on TS, so be careful how you describe it, because some folks are strictly open tapers, and some people are also in the industry as well. And of course, there are the stealthers still, and everyone has there own opinion about that, but it is worth pointing out that the mantra at TS is STRICTLY for trade only of shows not otherwise available -- no bootlegging discussion is permitted at TS, and no one sells anything over there. For some people this distinction doesn't matter, but for others, that distinction is very, very important. The guys at TS are NOT the guys selling bootlegs on eBay -- two very different sets of people. Anyway, just thought that was worth pointing out.
Old November 12th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #59
Inner Circle

Bill, yes I could tell the difference. But you have to wonder when they make battery packs out of Altoids containers, hehehe.
I actually think there is a lot of good ideas for guerilla movie makers on that board. The tiny mics that mount on your glasses sound pretty cool (pun intended).
Old November 14th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #60
Major Player

One of many tidbits on TS...

Did you know that you have to reboot the device after changing the selection on the LMH switch? Ever wonder why when you change the switch nothing actually happens to the levels you're seeing from your mics? Well, now you know why, you have to reboot the thing! (BTW, this is seperate from the switch being implemented BACKWARDS in the first firmware, which has since been fixed.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio