You leave shotgun mounted in blimp when transporting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 6th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Inner Circle

You leave shotgun mounted in blimp when transporting?

I have a Rycote s-series blimp and will be traveling with it. It took some oomph to get my NTG-1 inserted into the suspension clips. For transport in a checked bag, would you:
A) Leave mic in blimp?
B) Remove mic?
C) Leave mic in suspension but detach suspension clips from blimp's spine and pack seperately?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: You leave shotgun mounted in blimp when transporting?

Assuming your talking air travel
B. remove and put the mic in a solid lined case . the blimp should be protected too in a hard case inside the primary luggage case.. everything gets tore up w/ air luggage handlers and TSA inspection,
but that's just my opinion and MO
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Major Player

OR use a Rycote 'softie', most news / current affairs sound people that travel lots use a softie rather than a blimp.
I haven't used a blimp for with my kit for years for location work.... BUT I do use blimps on fixed mics for TV outside Broadcasts etc (and they are needed)
Almost ALL News / CA or TVC's have the ability to change locations slightly to get better wind protection for sound. Often Film work, Outside Broadcasts or videos in extreme locations don't have that ability.

Last edited by Brian P. Reynolds; July 6th, 2013 at 09:43 PM.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

A few years ago I made a carry case for the Blimp. Works for carry-on but for checkin I'd pack this case in more protective luggage.

I'm still using it, it protects the Blimp and mic against dust and unless I need the shotgun for something else, or I'm not using it for some time,
I leave the mic installed ..

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ode-blimp.html

Cheers.
Old July 8th, 2013, 02:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
I have a Rycote s-series blimp and will be traveling with it. It took some oomph to get my NTG-1 inserted into the suspension clips. For transport in a checked bag, would you:
A) Leave mic in blimp?
B) Remove mic?
C) Leave mic in suspension but detach suspension clips from blimp's spine and pack seperately?
A or C.

If you had an old-fashioned suspension with rubber O-rings or elastic, then you definitely *should* remove the mic.

But Rycote's Hytrel "Lyre" mounts are incredibly rugged and there is no need to remove the mic. IMHO.

If you want to avoid too much bounce in transit, then a few pieces of foam round the mic. would do the trick without the need to remove it from the suspension.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio