Sweeps, Swooshes, Hits at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 25th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sweeps, Swooshes, Hits

I've done a search but cannot find a good resource for some good sound elements for accentuating things flying onto/off screen.

Any suggestions? Free is good, but pay is ok.
Old July 25th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sweeps, Swooshes, Hits

I have had great success finding such things at Sound Dogs. Download Sound Effects | SoundDogs.com
Great selection, Online preview, Good prices, Delivery format selection. Instant download. Who could ask for more. (I am a non-compensated satisfied, paying customer) :-)
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Major Player

I would also check: Royalty Free Music - Sound Effects - Stock Audio | AudioJungle
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #4
Old Boot

Y'know, with a mic and little ego, you can do this yourself. It's dead easy. Twangs and more mechanicals can also be done "in-house". Adjusted on any decent audio temporal based compression audio s/w out there. Much and simple "Foley" type work to be done. It's good fun and creatively involving all those "found" household items.

O...K... Here's a set - 1,001 - from SONY costing under £5 quid: Loops & Samples: 1,001 Sound Effects. Click on the "Samples" button and get yourself an earful.

Toodles . . whhhoooooshhh.....

g
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 03:41 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Agreed Grazie. And it's a good thing to have custom SFX when selling a client ideas for his new video.
Among others, we had a range of great sounding golf club whooshes for that.

I used to a have very low handicap and didn't worry about swinging a big headed No 1 driver about an inch from a Neumann mic.
Today, not so much :(

Cheers.
Old July 28th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Major Player

It's a bit of a crap shoot to find stuff but have you tried the free sound project?

Freesound.org - Freesound.org

As mentioned, you can make this sort of thing with a basic synth and some editing and you'll probably find people have and then uploaded them just because.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #7
Trustee

If you were so inclined, there are many older synths for sale on ebay which have gobs of these sounds in their libraries. One of my favorites from when I was doing a lot of radio work, was the Oberheim Matrix 1000.
Old August 5th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I'm with Graham on this, make you own. It is extremely easy with virtually any mic and a simple audio programme with time and pitch shift. Think laterally and don't necessarily try to use the most obvious. For instance coughing onto a mic and slowing it down can sound like a very convincing lion roar, blow on a mic for explosions, placing materials of different textures against the mike and rubbing something slowly against the material can make various swishes and swoop sounds particularly when used with speed changes.

I once created a very convincing steam train sound for a video of a Lakeland steam engine. after the client accidentally erased the sound. I simply blew on a handkerchief draped over a mic in time with the smoke emissions from the engine's funnel.

Warning though, it can be great fun and very additictive.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #9
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
I'm with Graham on this, ........ Warning though, it can be great fun and very additictive.

Roger
(Cough . . . cough . . . quite!)

In SONY Vegas, where EVERYTHING is possible, I do reversals of Audio; Pitch stretching and use the Elastique module; Multi tracks of Foley; echo and compression; Vegas also has an acoustic mirror option which allows me to mimic the sound environment of that which best resembles the footage so verbals can be Post-V/O-ed and have the Mirror applied - ALSO if you've taken a piece of environmental ambience of the shoot you can use that as the Acoustic Mirror Template - total VooDoo!

In some ways the Audio enhancements subtle or not, can make an otherwise bland piece of video - I know, I've done it . . . .

Get out there and play! - It's one of the best parts of this job. Don't deny yourself the pleasure of it.

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio