most used wireless lavalier system - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 3rd, 2013, 03:08 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: most used wireless lavalier system

Don't know about blank columns. No data or vacant maybe.. but ' vacant' is usually stated. The USA tables are tied into the FCC's database, that's why it was unavailable during the government 'shutdown' a week or so ago.

TV= TV channel #
MHz.= Channel frequency range
ERP= radiated power
Dist= Distance from broadcast transmitter
Prx= dBm signal strength

You can adjust the search parameters. For instance the usable TV channels in an A block G3 would be approx: Start: 21; End :28 The 'Range' (system model) parameter would highlight the available frequencies for that particular model.
The chanels highlighted in Yellow (if highlight is enabled, 'should' be useable. As I previously stated, it's best to check for extraneous RF in your chosen frequency (with the system's transmitter switched off) prior to rolling at the location.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 07:47 PM   #32
Slash Rules!

Ok, I think I get it. So the "range" range you mention goes with the upper limit/lower limit parameters on the site. And that info will be in the manual.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 09:49 PM   #33
Slash Rules!

Ok, just fiddled around with this at my house. I get 59 "usable" channels, 14 in my EWG2's range. Out of those. . .how to choose any over any other? Most distance from transmitter? Lowest "erp"? Highest negative number (prx-I'm assuming this is the attenuation?)
Old November 4th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #34
Inner Circle

What frequency block is your G2?
Choose the TV channel/frequency range which has the highest negative number Prx. Set your G2 accordingly.. within that TV channel/frequency range.
If you have an A block frequency G2, TV Channel 22 would be my first choice in Houston. So choose a G2 frequency between 518-524 MHz which would be in Bank-1, Channels 1 thru 4 are within those parameters.
Second choice would be TV channel 25 (236-542MHz) .. G2 Bank-4, Channels 1 thru 4.
You can also manually adjust a frequency and save it to Bank U. However If your using multiple systems, use the presets in just one bank to avoid intermodulation.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/members/...x-g2-block.jpg

Last edited by Rick Reineke; November 4th, 2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: image added
Old November 4th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #35
Slash Rules!

Thanks. Don't know the name of the block I have (I didn't know any of that when I bought the system back in 2004), but my freq range is 518.00 to 554.00 or something along those lines.
Old November 4th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #36
Inner Circle

That would be the 'A' block. 518>554 MHz.
There's no totally vacant TV channels in Houston for that block, but frequencies within TV Channel 22 or 25 should work. Try frequency/channels in 'Bank 1' or 'Bank 4'.
Old November 4th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #37
Slash Rules!

Thanks. Something else I wanted to ask about is local interference. What I mean is, any number of shoots happen with large corporations at their offices/buildings with God knows what flying around in there. How to deal with that?

Dumb question I guess. I guess that's where the scan function comes in.

But riddle me this. . .let's say you're on a certain bank and it says "4 channels available". How to know which of the 4 is the best in that situation?
Old November 4th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #38
Major Player

Get your hands on one of these............
RF Explorer model WSUB1G [TES82252P] - $129.00 : Seeed Studio Bazaar, Boost ideas, extend the reach

It is the most useful thing to have in your kit if you are using radio mics.........At least you can see what's happening and where the gaps in the RF spectrum are.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio