AA Battery Recomendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 21st, 2013, 01:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

AA Battery Recomendations

I was curious what brand/model AA batteries you guys can recommend for use with Sennheiser EW100 G3 transmitter/receiver system. Basically I am looking to find the longest-lasting batteries to buy in bulk and fill fresh ones in every time I'm shooting a two-person interview.

Also, is there a battery that has nice equilibrium as far as how long they last in EW100 G3 transmitter/receiver system. For example, I put fresh ones in and I know they will stay working for 2 hours without shoot interruption to change the batteries. Upon those 2 hours I could just toss them out.

Also, anyone has a rechargeable AA battery recommendation that do not loose power over time?

Any help is truly appreciated!!

Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org
Renat Zarbailov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 02:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: AA Battery Recomendations

After discovering Sanyo Eneloop XX rechargeable AA's a few years back I haven't used disposable AA's since. I use them for all my audio gear from wireless systems to recorders. I'd highly recommend you move away from disposable batteries, I wasted hundreds popping in fresh batteries for every shoot while they still had 60-80% power. Going with "Eneloop" rechargeable which don't lose power was the best move I've made, coupled with an intelligent rapid charger you won't be disappointed.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 03:59 AM   #3
Major Player

I agree that rechargeables is the route to go, not only for cost but because you can never be sure if any of your one-use batteries are faulty. If one is faulty it degrades the performance of all the cells in that group.

And Eneloop is the one to go for because they retain almost their full charge when stored whereas lesser rechargeables loose it quickly - a lot over a few days.

I've just started using these high-end Eneloops:

Sanyo eneloop HR-3UWXB-4BP AA Mignon Batteries 2450 mAh: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

You do need the reference HR-3UWXB-4BP to ensure you have the latest version.

They are considerably more expensive than some but they are an investment. And their power rating is genuine whereas often you find elsewhere that the true power is nothing like that claimed on the label even after conditioning.

You do need to recondition rechargeables at regular intervals otherwise a degraded individual cell may not be obvious until its to late.

These C9000 units from Maha work great:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maha-MH-C900...rds=maha+c9000

Again they are expensive but do an essential job. Reconditioning cells takes about 2 days unattended. They work as normal chargers the rest of the time. I have 3 of the C9000's so I can recondition 12 cells at a time. Try using electricians coloured tape around cells to mark which are new / old reconditioned etc.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Trustee

I wholeheartedly second your recommendation of the Sanyo Eneloop cells.

You definitely want a charger that monitors and charges the cells individually. If the charger accepts cells only in pairs, you'll eventually end up with cells that are not charged equally; running time will be reduced and useful cell life will probably be reduced as well.

The Maha chargers have a very good reputation. As an alternative, I might suggest the LaCrosse model BC-900 (which might be discontinued) or BC-700.

I have had trouble marking cells with any kind of tape. The increase in thickness makes them bind when inserting or removing them from some devices. I always fall back on a Sharpie for marking cells. And if I need to remove old ink, rubbing alcohol will usually suffice, otherwise lacquer thinner is guaranteed.

Last edited by Greg Miller; December 21st, 2013 at 01:09 PM.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have been using the Rayovac (2100mAh) Hybrids They consistently run G2/3 (100 series) at least 10 hours.
A user should be aware of about how long a rechargeable will run, as the battery meter is not accurate. The 'low battery warning indicator's' short duration is of little value as well... In any case, batteries should be kept in set pairs. Due diligence is a necessity, keeping track of charged/discharged batteries. If one does not want to be bothered with the extra effort, alkaline or lithium cells would be a better choice.
I use Sharpies as well to ID them. Any other ID suggestions would be welcome.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 10:03 AM   #6
Major Player

all are excellent:

eneloop
rayovac
amazon brand
powerex
Old December 21st, 2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Major Player

yeah + 1 for the Sanyo Eneloops i have lots and lots of them.
Old December 21st, 2013, 04:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

For non-rechargeables Duracell is the gold standard, but more and more I just don't bother. Any cheap bulk brand will do as long as they are Alkaline. Right now I'm using a brand called ACDelco which I bought in packs of 20 for $5 from BigLots and they work just fine. They don't last quite as long as Duracell, but the dramatic savings more than makes up for it. I also don't mind tossing them out at the end of the day, as opposed to trying to stretch another day out of the Duracells. Starting the day with fresh batteries actually gives me more confidence than wondering whether a 2/3 charge on the expensive batteries is going to be enough. Just make sure that you are buying regular alkaline, and not something designed for low-drain devices. They should say "for high drain" devices on them.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 05:12 PM   #9
Inner Circle

The new Duracell Quantum last longer than the usual Coppertop alkaline. A little more expensive though. I occasionally buy a 20 pack at a supermarket (Shoprite) for $14.00. I also pick up Rayovac alkaline at the same market when they're on sale as well...( about 15-20 cents each.) They Rayovac alkalines 'supposedly' last as long as the Coppertops . I normally power my mixer, recorder and two Lectro receivers from a external battery system, but I use the alkalines in the IFB receivers. . I lost some rechargeables when clients throw the batteries away when there dead.
Old December 21st, 2013, 09:37 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Coppertops from COSTCO---40 for $14.00. I used to use 12 per wedding- 2 each X 2 mic paks...2 for the plug in Xmitter and 6 in the dual channel receiver. Since the beginning of the year the receiver is powered off the camera so I save 6 batteries.

I have used the Eneloops for the mic paks and while I KNOW in my heart they are fine I can't get my head wrapped around using them. Having said that, I'm just about out of Coppertops and since I'm only doing corporate style work anymore, I think I'm going to go for it and use the Eneloops. I have 16 batteries and 4 chargers so I might as well get some use out of them.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 04:07 AM   #11
Major Player

I have had trouble marking cells with any kind of tape. The increase in thickness makes them bind when inserting or removing them from some devices. I always fall back on a Sharpie for marking cells

Ever since I had 6 AA's drop out of a video light and all over the floor when the rear door spontaneously opened seconds before a 1st dance I quite like the extra grip that a turn of tape gives :- ) Just don't go around the cell with it more than once.

I have 65 cells in regular use. They are all plastered in Sharpie notes - which is a very good alternative - but I now prefer the easier identification afforded by tape. I started with black tape before realising that if you use red green or yellow tape you can use Sharpies as well to write on it :- )

The standard Eneloops are white all over so they are very easy to write on. The newer more powerful version I linked to are black and crowded with manufacturers printing.

For regular charging the Ansmann 12 cell chargers work well for AA's and AAA's. Remember that fast charging is a false economy; it saves you time but degrades the cells much quicker.

Just been reconditioning some cells; one rated at 2850mAh was reported as only 550mAh AFTER reconditioning on a Maha C9000 breakin cycle.That would affect me a lot as a photographer requiring rapid flashgun recycling.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 04:59 AM   #12
Major Player

I either use Duracell Procell alkaline batteries ( because I am provided with them at work ) , or I use rechargeables for my own use . If I have to buy disposable batteries , I generally go for the Duracell Ultra range which have the highest capacity .

For many years , I used Energiser high capacity NiMh cells , but they had the well known problem of self discharge ; I had heard of the Sanyo Eneloop batteries , but these are not widely marketed here in the UK .

More recently , the Duracell 'stay charged' range have come out ; they are now being branded as 'Duralock' and come pre charged in the packs .

When buying rechargeables , it is important to look at the capacity : some cheaper AA cells are only 1300 mAh , many are around 1900 mAh , and some are 2400mAh . I always buy the 2400 mAh Duracell Stay Charged ones now .

My AA cells are mainly for use in flash guns , but I do have a few other devices that use them . I originally had around 50 Energisers , but a few have failed over the years , despite regular use and periodic conditioning using an Ansmann charger/conditioner ; I also have six regular Energiser NiMh chargers which are used routinely .

I don't mark batteries themselves , but I do place charged ones into plastic bags with the charge date written on and store these in a pocket of my camera bag , with discharged ones going into a different pocket after use . When on the go , I keep charged batteries in one pocket of my jacket and put discharged ones in a different pocket .

With camcorder and camera batteries , I have them numbered and use them sequentially .
Derek Heeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #13
Regular Crew

+1 Eneloop. I can't even imagine buying regular batteries ever again.
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #14
Inner Circle

The Sanyo Eneloop 1500 are 1900mAh but will allegedly last for 1,500 charge/discharge cycles. 'Generally' the higher the capacity but fewer C/D cycles. For instance my Rayovac Hybrids are rated @ 2100mAh with a life span of 500 C/D cycles.
Old December 30th, 2013, 01:24 AM   #15
Major Player

Eneloops. I even made my own battery packs out of twenty AA size eneloops to power my sound devices gear, so that I can charge them in the relaxed time after a gig rather than the rushed time before a gig.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio