Zoom foam Plus Rat at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 8th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #1
DVi Contributor

Zoom foam Plus Rat

Ok , so I have always thought that (any) foam cover for a mic was the first way to control normal wind issues while handling or using a mic. THEN you added a dead cat or additional cover ( like over a zep )
when you required more protection from stronger wind gusts.

A ZOOM rep is saying that the dead Rat that they sell as part of the accessory pack can be used in place of the foam ball cover that comes with the recorder. To me it seems that the furry Rat needs the foam cover to keep the cloth from the inside of the Rat from rubbing against the mic heads. This all started because I want to replace the foam ball that I lost, ( at around $14) from most online stores. and they are saying that its not needed to use the fuzzy cover.

thoughts?

thank you
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:04 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Zoom foam Plus Rat

Anything will make noise if it can move around, so it should be snug or secured with a hair tie that has no exposed rubber or metal.
You can probably get a generic large foam screen, like for a large diaphragm mic, for less than $14 to replace your lost one.
The Zoom furry is probably sized to fit snug without the foam, but I've never used one.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Chartier View Post
Ok , so I have always thought that (any) foam cover for a mic was the first way to control normal wind issues while handling or using a mic. THEN you added a dead cat or additional cover ( like over a zep )
when you required more protection from stronger wind gusts.

A ZOOM rep is saying that the dead Rat that they sell as part of the accessory pack can be used in place of the foam ball cover that comes with the recorder. To me it seems that the furry Rat needs the foam cover to keep the cloth from the inside of the Rat from rubbing against the mic heads. This all started because I want to replace the foam ball that I lost, ( at around $14) from most online stores. and they are saying that its not needed to use the fuzzy cover.

thoughts?

thank you
Wind protection comes from the volume of still air that you trap round a microphone.

So - A hairy cover on its own is not much good.

Foam on it's own is OK - foam with a hairy cover is better.

A basket windshield is even better and adding a hairy cover to a basket is the best.

But - do *NOT* put a foam windshield inside a basket windshield as this makes it worse (as it then *reduces* the volume of trapped air).
Old January 12th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Great advice and explanation John!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio