Wireless XLR transmitted/reciever - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 20th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Wireless XLR transmitted/reciever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Adaimy View Post
Hi Frannk,

I'm very interested in the Wi Audio Stream, but I have one concern: Have you tried transmitting from a DJ's Deck and receiving on an XLR Device (Sony Z5u Cam or Sony NX5u Cam)?

Please let me know if you've experienced such conditions, and whether the audio quality is affected by obstacles between the transmitter and the receiver.

Cheers!
I am using the Wi AudioStream to send a scratch audio track from the Zoom H6 to a GH3 or Blackmagick Pocket Camera for dual system sound. I am relying on the Zoom as the primary recording device.The output jack on the Wi AudioStream includes an adapter cable that converts 3.5mm to XLR. It works well with the XLR input on the Zoom H6.
Frank Grygier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:26 PM   #17
Trustee

Re: Wireless XLR transmitted/reciever

I recently purchased one of the Wi Digital JM-WAL35 Audio Link systems for a yearly project involving my largest internal customer, that takes place in a large local theater.

Preliminary testing indicates it works very well within its range. It turned out I didn't actually use it for the large-scale meeting because the orchestra pit was covered instead of open and this allowed an out of the way place to run and leave cables that wouldn't have to be set up, taped down, then taken back up several times over 3 days due to double-booking of the facility. So I can't report on the results when the theater was full of 400 people all armed with cellphones and my wireless mics were operating, but testing with the theater empty showed no problems over 35 feet (and blocked by the 1920's era proscenium arch).

However, I can envision lots of uses for this wireless set so the $189 wasn't wasted.
In no particular order, I think it will be great for:
Monitoring the audio from a remotely placed audio recorder or camera.
Monitoring the audio from my main tripod-mounted camera so I can take more steps away while using the wireless boom mic.
Allowing your independent boom-op to monitor their sound wirelessly.
Sending a wireless signal to or from a stabilizer mounted camera.
Sending a wireless high-quality line-level stereo signal from any device with an unbalanced line-level or headphone output, to anything or anyone else that needs to receive the signal. If your recorder only has mic-level inputs, then an attenuated cable or a DI box will allow this too.
I don't have the need for wireless guitar or keyboard transmission, but that is one of its primary intended uses.

The input is specified to take up to 3Vrms. The output easily drives small headphones or earbuds quite loudly.

I tested the latency by simultaneously sending a two-channel signal via a hard wired connection to one channel of an audio recorder and the other channel via the Wi. I then imported the audio file to Vegas and measured the delay in the slate clap between the two channels. It was .026 seconds, which is about equal to 3/4 of one 29.97 frame of video.

The devices will work through walls, but that greatly reduces the range. Still, I was able to walk about 40 feet down the hall while the transmitter sat on my desk playing music from my iPhone. The signal was passing through 3 modern office building walls and wouldn't break up until I rotated my body into the path as well.

It's nice that the transmitter and receiver communicate back and forth with each other. This allows muting/un-muting and volume up or down to be accomplished from either device. Very handy when you are 75 or 80 feet away!

I will add more info when I get the chance for real world large live meeting testing.

Last edited by Jay Massengill; May 23rd, 2014 at 06:46 PM.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio