XLR to USB Mic Cable for FCP Voice Over? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:30 PM   #1
New Boot

XLR to USB Mic Cable for FCP Voice Over?

Hi Ya'll
I wanted to know if there is a Mic cable that has the XLR connnector for the mic and USB for the computer to use in FCP Voice Over? If so, where can I find it?
Thanks a bunch,

ZIA
Zia Basith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 07:47 PM   #2
Wrangler

Look for a USB or Firewire Audio Interface. Instead of XLR connectors, some interfaces use 1/4" connectors. Also, consider getting a separate or built in pre-amp, especially if you're using a dynamic mic.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 05:51 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zia Basith
Hi Ya'll
I wanted to know if there is a Mic cable that has the XLR connnector for the mic and USB for the computer to use in FCP Voice Over? If so, where can I find it?
Thanks a bunch,

ZIA
Echoing Michael, there's a lot more to recording audio from a mic into a file on the computer through its USB port than simply the right adapters for the cable connectors. Do you not have a decent soundcard in your system already? If so, an inexpensive (<$100) mixer that will accept the mic and send a line level signal to the soundcard's input may be what you need. Depending on the mic and whether it needs phantom power or not you might be able to get an XLR to miniplug adapter and plug directly into the soundcard's mic input but using the mixer will give you a lot more control. If you don't have a soundcard (though I can't imagine how you could be editing a project in FCP on a machine without one) Michael's suggestion of an audio interface - PCI, USB, or Firewire - is definitely your first order of business. BTW, while USB 2.0 can give acceptable results, earlier USB audio interfaces did not perform as well as internal PCI cards or Firewire did.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:22 AM   #4
Wrangler

my workaround for V/O is to record directly into my camera (XL2) with an XLR-connected Rode NT1 mic and then capture as "audio only" into FCP, instead of doing V/O directly into the USB interface. the XL2 is equipped with a 48v power source (preamp), so seems to work ok with the Rode mic....

it's probably not maximum studio quality, but it's substantially better than the results available through the USB interface and doesn't require spending more money. depends on the effect you're trying to achieve and the amount you're willing to spend. i'm not a sound expert and would probably take my sound to one if i had a project whose success depended on really great sound. but for what i do, this method works out fine.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio