New to Video and Sound at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New to Video and Sound

I've been a photographer for 15 years and have always been fascinated with video so I decided to jump in. I now have a great respect for Videographers. There is just so much too learn. I added two Sony ea50's to shoot with and I am now looking at equipment to capture sound. I'm think about adding a Sennheiser EW 112P G3-A that comes with a ME-2 also I'm am thinking about Two H1's. As a newbie I am wondering what the pros think about this as a starter kit and what I might need to add besides the knowledge of how to use this equipment. Ha Ha. I have been reading these forums or a few weeks now and have learned a lot so far but there is still much to learn. Any advice or recommendation on the above equipment or any other would be greatly appreciated. I forgot to mention I will be shooting mostly Weddings and Receptions and editing in Sony Vegas Pro 12. Thanks again for any advice.

Chris
Chris Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:30 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: New to Video and Sound

That sounds like a reasonable kit. It is probably better than many wedding videographers use.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply. Soooo much equipment to choose from and I feel I might go crazy before it's all over. When I started in photography I wasted too much money in the beginning not buying the right equipment and trying to go too cheap. I ended up spending more that way. I'm trying to setup with equipment that I'll be happy with for a while. Just wondering if I need another lav for one of the h1's. I've read a lot about not having enough audio backed up.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Trustee

The ME-2 mics that come with the Sennheiser EW G3 kits are not known for their quality. Many people substitute a better mic to improve performance quality.

If you are not happy with the voice recorder pickup with the onboard microphones, then certainly try a plug-in lav. Even the ME-2 mics from the Sennheisers will likely be better than the on-board mics, not to mention that it is much easier to get external mics in a better position for good sound.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

What lavs would you suggest Also is the ME 4s better.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

@chris ... do a search in this forum and you'll find recommendations. Also, check out the DVE Store who supports DVINFO. Guy Cochran has made a lot of comparison videos and hangs out here.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #7
Inner Circle

"is the ME 4s better?"
- The ME-4 is the cardioid version of the ME series. Cardioid lavs are NOT recommended.
For a better quality omni lav, there are many choices. Best 'bang for the buck' IMO are the Oscar SoundTech OST-801, 802 or TL40. The 801/2 are identical in size/shape to the venerable Tram TR50. The TL40 is an end-address lav, about the size of a Countryman B3. OST mics are highly regarded amongst 'major league' pros and are made in NJ. OST's customer service is outstanding.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I will look at these right now, you guys are awesome. I've been on a lot of forums before and I gotta say since visiting all the forums as of late Videographers seem to give the most help.

Thanks again.
Old January 25th, 2014, 04:39 AM   #9
Trustee

Sennheiser's own MKE-2 Gold is a big step up in quality. Definitely worth a listen if you can get to try them out.
I use them all the time with G2/ G3 radio systems.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio