Sony PCM D50: Repair or replace - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:36 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: Sony PCM D50: Repair or replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
96k IS better than 44.1. No Fantasy at all.

The question is whether ones ears are good enough to hear the betterness!
Actually the first question is whether someone can demonstrate the ability to differentiate them in double blind comparison to a statistically significant degree.

Please give me a reference to such a demonstration.

With all respect, I can easily find people who will attest to an audible improvement by using little pyramids to keep speaker wires suspended above the floor.

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 05:10 AM   #32
Trustee

"With all respect, I can easily find people who will attest to an audible improvement by using little pyramids to keep speaker wires suspended above the floor. "

You hit the nail on the head Fran, I remember a friend telling me to put a square of silver foil between the tweeter and midrange speakers, "it would improve the high notes" I could never tell the difference or see why that should work. My wife tells me that there are many people who enjoy "tinkering" with settings and equipment, which is also a valid point, I guess each person will find something that gives them pleasure and who am I to question that.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 01:31 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Yes, like putting a blue ink stripe around a CD would improve the quality. Many, many instances of 'snake oil' audio products.. most of which cost exhortation amounts of $$.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 04:10 PM   #34
Trustee

People have no idea what they're buying. Consider all the 2-way computer speaker systems that have a pair of main speakers and one "subwoofer." I always thought that you needed a woofer first, then the subwoofer covered frequencies below that. But nobody seems to question having a "sub" without first having a woofer.

Better yet, just put some powerful-sounding word in front of the product, like "Monster," and it will make everything sound 4.37dB better... IMHO of course. ;-)
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase Tanner View Post
@ John. I have no doubt there'd be no contest but for the price. If it had XLRs I'd consider it. Not that the D50 either, that was its one significant shortcoming. Have you tried the unit? I don't believe its available here just yet.
I bought the Denecke PS-1A XLR power supply to feed xlr mics into my Sony PCM-D50.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio