Help Setting up Sony Ea50 Sound at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 1st, 2014, 04:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help Setting up Sony Ea50 Sound

Is there a way to setup the ea50 using a wireless, a shotgun mic and having them both on their own channel so I could cut or delete one or the other in Vegas. I finally have them both recording. I had to set the sony shotgun mic on manual and turn the sound way up. I also was hoping to just unplug the wireless when I don't need it and just use the shotgun without changing a ton of settings on the job if it's possible.

Thanks

Chris.

Last edited by Chris Brown; March 1st, 2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Chris Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Help Setting up Sony Ea50 Sound

Like most other pro type cameras the EA50 has 2 channels. 1 and 2 which equals to left and right. If the shotgun regardless of whether it's the stock Sony or a Neumann or an AT or whatever brand or make is plugged into CHANNEL 1 and the switch on the switchblock is set to 1 then the mic will record to channels 1 and 2. If it is set to channel 1/2 then it will record only to channel 1. In either case if there is a 2nd mic be it a shotgun of some type or a wireless and it is plugged into channel 2 then it will only record to that channel when the switch is set to 1/2 meaning the mic that is plugged into channel 1 records to that and the mic pluged into channel 2 will record to that channel. If you want to only record the mic plugged into channel 1 and not channel 2 then either turn off the mic plugged into channel 2 (I assume a wireless receiver so it can be turned off) or simply flip the switch from 1/2 to 1. Problem solved.
I would suggest you look at the manual. I no longer have one to refer to but the Sony manuals are generally pretty comprehensive and explain things like that in the "how to shoot video" section of their manuals.
Old March 1st, 2014, 09:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Chris

If you don't have a manual so to the Sony forum and you will find a sticky with a link to manual downloads.

I have both my EA-50 cameras set up as follows : The Sony shotgun is plugged into Channel 1 (XLR 2) and stays there regardless as my general ambient mic. When I'm using one camera without a wireless mic then Channel one is effectively "dead" and I just record on Channel 2 ... Once you drop the clip into Vegas you will see the left channel has nothing on it and the right channel has the audio from the mic. All you do is right click the audio track and under "channels" select "right" and you will get just a single channel BUT it's pseudo stereo so it feeds both left and right speakers.

When you plug in your wireless mic then you get the output of the mic on Channel one (Vegas sees this as the left channel) and again all you do is right click if you only want the wireless mic and select "left" or if you want both, select both (default)

Each channel is totally programmable too for input sensitivity so I set up Channel 1 so it suits the output of my receiver and Channel 2 so it suits the output of my mic (I have my shotgun set at 3db up)

Lastly if you are trying to run two wireless mics and the shotgun, what you need is a switch box ..I made one up and there is a thread again in the EA-50 forum about it ...essentially when doing Catholic weddings I use the shotgun plus 2 x wireless mics (one on the groom and one on the lectern) so when I need the lectern mic I just switch the input from the shotgun to the second wireless receiver and when they are done, it goes back to the shotgun for backup.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 02:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

First I want to thank you guys for the help. but let me tell you what your up against. I have read the manual and still seem to be lost. It seems I shot my first test wedding with nothing but the internal mic's on. I had the Sony shotgun hooked up but not turned on I'm guessing. As of right now I'm not sure the shotgun mic works. It seems to me that im not getting hardly anything sound out of it. Do you have to be real close maybe.
I plugged the shotgun in input 2 xlr bottom
then on the side of the camera I put the slider down to input 2 left auto in auto
and put slider down to mic +48

Then I put the wireless xlr in input 1
slide the slider down to input1
slide down to mic
left in auto.

I know the shotgun wont pick up like the wireless but shouldn't it pickup at least as good as the internal mics.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 03:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Also a question for Chris. How did you get 3db up? Are you talking about the trim setting. Mine only goes in increments of 6.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 03:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ok I tried the first setup again and it seems to work better for me. I'll just have to switch back and forth from 1 to 2. It still seems to me that you have to be pretty close with the shotgun.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Shotgun mics are for the most part terrible inside. Generally you need to be within 2 feet for it to be any use at all. For my inside work I've used a Hypercaroid if I can't mic the subject with a lav. whether it's on a boom or the camera it still needs to be close just not as close as a shotgun.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Chris

Rats! you caught me out!! Yep the increments are 6db ..I have the shotgun lifted by 6db and it picks up very well about 10' away or more!

OK my audio selections on each channel are set to MIC ... the Phantom +48 is on for Channel 2 as the shotgun is plugged into that and the Channel 1 Phantom Power is off as my wireless receivers create their own bias voltage. I set Chaneel 1 to Input 1 and Channel 2 to Input 2 .. simple as that!! The INT mic is never used with me!!

Set you shotgun and trim it 6db + and it will work very well!! (Don, the default level is -48db and that's a tiny bit low IMO for that shotgun ...lifting 6db makes it remarkably perky!!)

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Sorry about the out. I was thinking you could change the increments inside the menu. You can do this type of thing on some digital cameras. I will give 6dB up a shot. Thanks for everyones help. The more time I spend with this camera the better I feel. Cant wait for spring.
Chris Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio