DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Problem with Sennheiser G2 lav (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/522473-problem-sennheiser-g2-lav.html)

Peter Berger March 30th, 2014 08:44 AM

Problem with Sennheiser G2 lav

I rented a Sennheiser wirelless lav and I have this problem with it - when I touch the cord of the Sennheiser lav, I can hear crackling noise in the sound. Is there a way how to fix it? Its impossible to put the mic on somebody without touching the cord. If the person moves and the cord moves too, the noise appears. The cord cant be changed, because its part of the mic.

Rick Reineke March 30th, 2014 08:57 AM

Re: Problem with Sennheiser G2 lav

The cable is likely broken. If the damage is down by the plug (the usual stress point), the connector can be replaced, but this requires some electronic/soldering skills. Even a non-locking 3.5mm TRS plug can be used in a pinch.
If the cable is broken close to, or at the mic element, that is usually not repairable and requires a new mic assembly. (mic/cable/plug)

Les Wilson March 30th, 2014 12:21 PM

As Rick said, you have a bum Lavalier. Hope you can get a refund on the rental.

For others who come along this thread searching with the same problem: if it's a Sennheiser Lav, they have a refurb program where you send them the bad one and they send one they've repaired. It's about half the price of a new one.

John Willett March 31st, 2014 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1839054)
Even a non-locking 3.5mm TRS plug can be used in a pinch.

Not really, as it would be free to move and cause crackling.

ONLY to be used in a dire emergency and then changed for a locking one at the earliest opportunity.

Terry Wall July 17th, 2015 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1839077)
For others who come along this thread searching with the same problem: if it's a Sennheiser Lav, they have a refurb program where you send them the bad one and they send one they've repaired. It's about half the price of a new one.

Hey, Les, I have a similar problem with the "scratchy sounding" Senni lavs and have 2 of them that I'd LOVE to send in for repair. Especially if I can save half the price of new ones! Is there a specific department within Senni's repair facility where they should be sent? Is there a specific contact (person)?

Many thanks!
~TRW

Les Wilson July 18th, 2015 05:53 AM

The website for Support has changed. THere use to be a form you could fill out and a schedule of flat rate repairs. Looks like there's a gatekeeper page now where you create a service request and go from there.... https://service.sennheiserusa.com

Let us know if the program is still there.

Rick Reineke July 18th, 2015 09:31 AM

If you're referring to an ME2 (or ME4) .. even half price (however they calculate that.. I know the street price is around $130), is it worth getting an awful sounding mic fixed? I'd get an OST for around $90 and be done with it

Terry Wall July 18th, 2015 01:43 PM

Thanks for the hint about the OST's, Rick...I just might go that route! Judging from your comment, is it safe to say that their connectors are built better than the Sennis? Nice price point, too!

~TW

Rick Reineke July 18th, 2015 02:06 PM

Yes, OST uses a (Tec-Nec I think) locking brass plug, soldered on by OST. The Sennheiser ME series mics use a cheapo molded-on plug which is far more prone to breakage. Not only is the OST plug much better quality, the locking ring retracts enough to use in a conventional (non-locking) 3.5mm jack. Can't do that with the Sennheiser, the locking ring prevents full insertion.
BTW, the lowest street price I've seen on the ME2 is currently $139 USD.. Sennheiser's list price is $189.. do the math.

Terry Wall July 18th, 2015 02:22 PM

Hi, Rick! Since you were responding to my question, is it safe to say you meant Senni, Not Sony? Incidentally, and a bit OT, you're not related to Steve Reineke (big time "Pops" orchestra conductor), are you? I noticed you're in NYC and I he's there too! He used to be the conductor for the Long Beach Pops out here in CA and we miss him!

~TW

Rick Reineke July 18th, 2015 02:55 PM

"is it safe to say you meant Senni, Not Sony?"
- Yes Terry, thanks for catching that, I will correct it so no one else is confused.

I have cousin Steve, but he's an attorney, though many in my family were/are musicians, including myself.

Paul R Johnson July 19th, 2015 05:10 AM

If he rented it, then buying a mic is not an option, is it. Getting at least a partial refund is! If the mic was faulty, then he also has the evidence in the recording.

I also wonder if perhaps the hire company just accidentally included a dodgy mic?

However - noise from the cable is a bit more complex. Two kinds, electrical and mechanical. Some cables seem to age badly, and some brand new ones of cheaper makes (it could have been a non-sennheiser mic on a genuine Sennheiser radio pack) have microphonic cables. The friction noises go up the cable sheath and are mechanically linked to the capsule, which produces a quite distinct sound. Broken conductors either cut the audio, intermittently or totally, or crackle and bang. Again, an electrical fault is a very specific noise. If we could hear it, we could tell - but it's too late now.