Problem with Sennheiser G2 lav at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 30th, 2014, 08:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Problem with Sennheiser G2 lav

I rented a Sennheiser wirelless lav and I have this problem with it - when I touch the cord of the Sennheiser lav, I can hear crackling noise in the sound. Is there a way how to fix it? Its impossible to put the mic on somebody without touching the cord. If the person moves and the cord moves too, the noise appears. The cord cant be changed, because its part of the mic.
Peter Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Problem with Sennheiser G2 lav

The cable is likely broken. If the damage is down by the plug (the usual stress point), the connector can be replaced, but this requires some electronic/soldering skills. Even a non-locking 3.5mm TRS plug can be used in a pinch.
If the cable is broken close to, or at the mic element, that is usually not repairable and requires a new mic assembly. (mic/cable/plug)
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

As Rick said, you have a bum Lavalier. Hope you can get a refund on the rental.

For others who come along this thread searching with the same problem: if it's a Sennheiser Lav, they have a refurb program where you send them the bad one and they send one they've repaired. It's about half the price of a new one.

Last edited by Les Wilson; March 30th, 2014 at 02:43 PM.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 01:27 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
Even a non-locking 3.5mm TRS plug can be used in a pinch.
Not really, as it would be free to move and cause crackling.

ONLY to be used in a dire emergency and then changed for a locking one at the earliest opportunity.
Old July 17th, 2015, 12:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
For others who come along this thread searching with the same problem: if it's a Sennheiser Lav, they have a refurb program where you send them the bad one and they send one they've repaired. It's about half the price of a new one.
Hey, Les, I have a similar problem with the "scratchy sounding" Senni lavs and have 2 of them that I'd LOVE to send in for repair. Especially if I can save half the price of new ones! Is there a specific department within Senni's repair facility where they should be sent? Is there a specific contact (person)?

Many thanks!
~TRW
Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff!

Last edited by Terry Wall; July 17th, 2015 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo...oops!
Terry Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 05:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The website for Support has changed. THere use to be a form you could fill out and a schedule of flat rate repairs. Looks like there's a gatekeeper page now where you create a service request and go from there.... https://service.sennheiserusa.com

Let us know if the program is still there.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 09:31 AM   #7
Inner Circle

If you're referring to an ME2 (or ME4) .. even half price (however they calculate that.. I know the street price is around $130), is it worth getting an awful sounding mic fixed? I'd get an OST for around $90 and be done with it
Old July 18th, 2015, 01:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the hint about the OST's, Rick...I just might go that route! Judging from your comment, is it safe to say that their connectors are built better than the Sennis? Nice price point, too!

~TW
Old July 18th, 2015, 02:06 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Yes, OST uses a (Tec-Nec I think) locking brass plug, soldered on by OST. The Sennheiser ME series mics use a cheapo molded-on plug which is far more prone to breakage. Not only is the OST plug much better quality, the locking ring retracts enough to use in a conventional (non-locking) 3.5mm jack. Can't do that with the Sennheiser, the locking ring prevents full insertion.
BTW, the lowest street price I've seen on the ME2 is currently $139 USD.. Sennheiser's list price is $189.. do the math.

Last edited by Rick Reineke; July 19th, 2015 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typos
Old July 18th, 2015, 02:22 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi, Rick! Since you were responding to my question, is it safe to say you meant Senni, Not Sony? Incidentally, and a bit OT, you're not related to Steve Reineke (big time "Pops" orchestra conductor), are you? I noticed you're in NYC and I he's there too! He used to be the conductor for the Long Beach Pops out here in CA and we miss him!

~TW

Last edited by Terry Wall; July 18th, 2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old July 18th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #11
Inner Circle

"is it safe to say you meant Senni, Not Sony?"
- Yes Terry, thanks for catching that, I will correct it so no one else is confused.

I have cousin Steve, but he's an attorney, though many in my family were/are musicians, including myself.
Old July 19th, 2015, 05:10 AM   #12
Inner Circle

If he rented it, then buying a mic is not an option, is it. Getting at least a partial refund is! If the mic was faulty, then he also has the evidence in the recording.

I also wonder if perhaps the hire company just accidentally included a dodgy mic?

However - noise from the cable is a bit more complex. Two kinds, electrical and mechanical. Some cables seem to age badly, and some brand new ones of cheaper makes (it could have been a non-sennheiser mic on a genuine Sennheiser radio pack) have microphonic cables. The friction noises go up the cable sheath and are mechanically linked to the capsule, which produces a quite distinct sound. Broken conductors either cut the audio, intermittently or totally, or crackle and bang. Again, an electrical fault is a very specific noise. If we could hear it, we could tell - but it's too late now.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio