Strange PluralEyes problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 4th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Strange PluralEyes problem

Never had an issue before, and all of a sudden it won't sync my project. It gets really close, looks likes it's synched, and then suddenly scrambles all of the clips and makes a sort of "boing" sound. Camera was fed a scratch track identical to the main audio that fed the recorder so it should all be pretty darn close. Anybody seen this before?

Last edited by Marco Leavitt; April 4th, 2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Strange PluralEyes problem

Hi Marco,
I have very little experience with PluralEyes, but have read, PluralEyes 3 has "issues" with some NLEs, including Vegas Pro.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I had problems similar to that with Vegas and Plural eyes 3. I finally went back to Dual Eyes and it seemed to do fine. Problem in my case is my recordist just paused recording making one large file of audio for the shoot, and it dldn't seen like Plural Eyes liked that. Dual Eyes was able to deal with it.
Old April 9th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks. Have used PluralEyes many times and it has worked perfectly, so it's not a problem with the NLE. The problem ended up being the file order. I had to rename the files so the proper clip order was maintained, and then it worked.
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #5
Trustee

PluralEyes looks at the file name alphabetically and the creation time to guess at the clip orientation. quote from the manual:

"Choosing the clip order

The PluralEyes 3 sync algorithm always adjusts the amount of time between clips in order to sync them with clips from other tracks. Choosing the correct clip ordering for your media will significantly affect the quality and speed of synchronization.

To switch between clip ordering methods, click Sync> Allow Sync to Change Clip Order. This option is turned off by default.

Turn it off. If you uncheck this option, the system will put clips in ascending alphanumeric order by file name. If you have not renamed the media files, they will usually be sorted chronologically when they are sorted alphanumerically. The syncing process will change the spacing but not the order or clips in the bin.

If you are confident of the order in which clips should go within a bin, then turning off Allow Sync to Change Clip Order gives the fastest, most accurate results. This is especially true when there are multiple clips within a bin that contain very similar content, such as repeated takes of actors following a script.

Turn it on. If you check this option, the sync process will determine the order in which clips should be placed. It does this by comparing the audio content of each clip with the audio content of clips in other bins. The syncing process can change the spacing and the order of clips in the bin. If you are not sure of the order in which clips should go, then turn on Allow Sync to Change Clip Order."
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:15 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Oddly I did allow the program to change the clip order and it still didn't work. Strangest thing is it looked like it was working, having reordered the clips so that it looked right, and then at the last second it would just fail and scramble all the clips. Very strange.
Old April 10th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #7
Trustee

Now That IS strange! Sounds like a trip to Red Giant's support staff is in order. They're pretty responsive (I have DeNoiser II, that's how I know. Don't get me started.)
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio