Sound Devices Pix 2401 sound at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 11th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Sound Devices Pix 2401 sound

I was at NAB a couple of days ago and stopped by the SD booth and took a look at the Pix 240i. It seems pretty impressive and I was wondering if anyone here had used one and if so whether the sound quality was as good as the SD 702.

I currently use a pair of Schoeps mics into a 302/702 as well as an Atomos Ninja. I haven't needed more than two mics for quite a while now so I really don't need the 302 any more but since I have it I keep using it! Force of habit maybe!

I primarily record classical performances, with or without video, and I was thinking that the Pix would let me simplify my setup significantly, but sound quality is my main objective so wanted hear from a happy Pix user before ordering one.

Thanks
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sound Devices Pix 2401 sound

I have not used one, but I would expect good sounding audio.. It is however more designed for picture, so the audio interface doesn't have as many monitoring and in/out options as a dedicated mixer.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks

I've been reading the user guide and it looks like it will only record when there is a video source connected.

It also only records audio as 48k/24 bit uncompressed, no other sample rate options.

i was hoping it could be used for either audio or video but it seems not to be the case. I normally do both, but sometimes only audio so i guess it won't replace my 702 anytime soon.
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The audio capability on the PIX is better than most video cameras. Its nice to have a couple extra channels of audio at your disposal when needed. It isn't a replacement for a high end field recorder. And you are right that it doesn't record audio without a video signal. There is no audio only option. It is very good for what it is though.
Old April 14th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I'm still trying to figure out what I can sell off to pay for one:<))

But it's looking like the 702 won't be going to a new home any time soon!!!
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:05 AM   #6
Major Player

I have owned both the Pix240 and an SD702. I've done some tests to compare them (sorry, lost the files in a hard drive crash -- didn't back them up since they weren't at all critical). I've also compared PIX240 to internal recording to a Sony F3.

For what it's worth, here are my impressions:

PIX240i audio is definitely better than audio into the Sony F3. Less noise, better highs and lows. If I record anything that I want critical audio on (and I'm not using a dedicated audio recorder), I will always use the PIX240 audio over audio in any of my other cameras.

PIX240i vs. SD702: Much closer. If I "bit-peak" (I just made this up, but it's the audio equivalent to pixel peeking), the SD702 sounds better. But, they're different devices of course. The SD702 allows more customization of filters etc, I think it has better limiters, and of course it's easier to use to record audio as that's what it's meant to do.

One consideration is that I'm pretty sure the PIX won't record audio only, only in tandem with video.

Hope that helps.
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

Thanks for the update. I checked the user manual and confirmed with SD that the Pix won't record without a video signal.

On the other hand I guess I could always just hook up a GoPro and record "dummy" video and split off the audio later.

90% of the time I record video into an Atomos and audio into the 702, and I'd love to just carry one box instead of two - as well as thinking the Pix will do a better job of the video. But I think I'll hang on to the 702 for a while yet. If I can sell off a few things I don't much use any more like a few Schoeps capsules and a 302, I might be able to pick up the Pix and keep the 702..
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Makes sense. The 240i is a great device, but is big and heavy so the 702 and Atomos may not be much more to carry (at least weight-wise).
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio