Syncing Zoom H1 audio with DSLR clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 29th, 2014, 05:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Syncing Zoom H1 audio with DSLR clip

Hello!

I stumbled onto a problem last night while using the Merge Clips function in Adobe Premiere Pro CC. I have a clip shot with the Panasonic GH3 which has audio from its on-board microphones (as you know, crappy audio quality) and I also have audio recorded using a Zoom H1.

When I try to merge these 2 files in Premiere, it's giving me an option to choose "Track Channel" (see attached photo), and whatever option I choose, the newly merged clip, although with audio synced correctly, will have MONO audio once dropped inside the timeline. I can tell this because both columns in the sound monitor (for the left and right audio channels) are always at the same height. In addition, it's creating 2 audio tracks in my timeline instead of just one (see second attached photo).

However! If I just double click on the merged clip to listen to it in the source monitor, the sound is actually stereo.

I have no idea what the heck is going on, does anyone have a clue? I would like to mention that the GH3 audio is @ 48 KHz and the Zoom audio is MP3 @ 44.1 KHz. Maybe this is causing the problem?

Thank you kindly.

-Luc
Attached Thumbnails
Syncing Zoom H1 audio with DSLR clip-audio-problem.png   Syncing Zoom H1 audio with DSLR clip-audio-problem2.png  

Luc Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 06:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Syncing Zoom H1 audio with DSLR clip

"the GH3 audio is @ 48 KHz and the Zoom audio is MP3 @ 44.1 KHz. Maybe this is causing the problem?"
> Could be! I'm not familiar with Adobe Premiere but some NLEs do not support different sample rates and/or bit depth events.. If Adobe Premiere only supports 48kHz, you will have to re-sample 44.1k file to 48.

FWIW, Sony Vegas Pro supports having different sample rate/bit depth in the same project.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 07:29 AM   #3
Major Player

Alright, I tried converting the Zoom file to 48 KHz in Audition, then I imported it into Premiere and the exact same thing happens... I am so frustrated and confused as to why it's not working properly...
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Trustee

The merge clips function is somewhat limited, there is a better way but you need to purchase a plugin.

Here's a discussion on these issues: Final Cut Pro Training | Premiere Pro CC: A Better Way to Merge | Final Cut Pro Training & Classes Ignore the Final Cut reference, this particular page is about Premiere/ The plugin is PluralEyes3 from Red Giant, works a treat. (Usual disclaimer, satisfied user, no commercial connection.)
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 10:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Thank you, will look into that. At least the good news seems to be that the problem is not on my end...
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio