Short mic cables for on-camera use at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 11th, 2014, 07:06 PM   #1
Equal Opportunity Offender

Short mic cables for on-camera use

Looking at getting a shotgun mic to mount on my new Sony PMW-300, particularly as no stock mic comes with this camera. (Not that you really want to use the stock Sony shotgun mic, if it can be helped.)

Getting the mic is easy. The short cable for it (typically 50cm) is a little harder and one vendor is quoting $70 for a custom cable with a XLR right-angle female connector. A regular stock item of the same length (with normal straight connectors) is available for only $24.

What do you guys do for a cable in this situation?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Short mic cables for on-camera use

This is B&H in New York so it might not work for you but here you go anyway...

XLR to XLR Cables | B&H Photo Video

So in addition to that you can make the cable yourself. Connectors, cable, solder and iron. A little time and you have a custom cable. Otherwise use the straight connector. $70.00 does seem a bit excessive.
Old May 11th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I just made some custom XLR cables for my Canon C100 to connect on-camera shotgun and Sennheiser G3. I got the XLR connectors and cable from Markertek for under $30 and it took about 15 minutes to solder each cable. It's really easy to do and there are a ton of tutorials on the internet that show you how to solder XLR cables. $70 is too much considering that even using the best connectors and cable the materials alone would cost around $15.
Attached Thumbnails
Short mic cables for on-camera use-dsf2157.jpg   Short mic cables for on-camera use-dsf2162.jpg  

Short mic cables for on-camera use-parts_list.jpg  
Scott Bellefeuille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 12:13 AM   #4
Trustee

As Scott says learn to solder and you can have fun making all sorts of useful custom cables that will cost you a lot less than buying them!
Old May 12th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #5
Trustee

When I entered your requirements in the onine custom cable quotation page at Redco, the price is $ 18.42 ASSEMBLED AND TESTED
Redco Audio - Audio/Video Supplies and Accessories, Custom Cables and Panels, and more

I am a strong proponent of learning to make/repair your own cables. XLR are pretty much the easiest connector to terminate.

I still don't understand why people mount microphones ON their cameras, unless they are making home movies.and don't care about audio.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 11:06 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
I still don't understand why people mount microphones ON their cameras, unless they are making home movies.and don't care about audio.
For verité run-and-gun, it is a necessity, especially for solo shooters. I use the on-camera mic feed DEEP in the mix frequently just to add atmosphere. Besides... with today's solid-state cameras it's not like the Betacam (or <SHUDDER> U-Matic days) where transport noise negated the use of ANY on-camera audio... ASSUMING the operator is careful to control breathing and other human noises and refrains from zooming where the lens servo can be heard.

Far too many shooters these days are using on-camera shotgun mics as their only audio source but in the right application, a microphone that generally captures some semblance of what I hear from my position at the camera is a godsend for atmosphere in post, just not primary audio, nor acceptable audio for dramatics.

I don't think my 4 International docs and 6 years at the Canadian Public Broadcaster constitute "home movies"...

Last edited by Shaun Roemich; May 13th, 2014 at 09:49 AM.
Shaun Roemich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #7
Trustee

Redco seems like a great service. I am always looking for custom cables. Professional Sound in NY has made many for me if I don't feel like soldering them from scratch. Some connectors are very hard to deal with. If it only takes me an hour to deal with making a cable it often is worth it to spend the money to have someone else make it.
As far as camera mics it is very useful to have an audio source which is recorded with the picture even if it is not as good quality as a soundman might get. Sometimes the camera is in the best position to capture sound sometimes not.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will just go with the $24 option and not be limited by the direction that the right-angle connector points out at.

Andrew
Old May 12th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #9
Major Player

Condesending comments are not always helpful. There are plenty of times when solo videographers need to have microphones on their cameras. Rycote isolation mounts work well. As for cables, Location Audio makes a great, short XLR cable that is coiled and has a 90 degree connection on one end. These are available at Trew Audio.

Last edited by Richard D. George; May 12th, 2014 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Typo
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will just go with the $24 option and not be limited by the direction that the right-angle connector points out at.

Andrew
Just an FYI, right angle connectors like the Neutrik I used can be adjusted to multiple different angles. You just unscrew the connector, change the angle, and put it back together.
Scott Bellefeuille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #11

Thanks Scott. That's truly worth knowing about the adjustability of the right-angle connectors.

My goodness this forum is so awesome. :-)

Andrew
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:30 AM   #12
Major Player

With the Remote Audio cable, the 90 degree connection is on the mic end. The mic can rotate in the shock mount, so the angle can be whatever you want it to be. The cable is short, and tightly coiled, so it does not get in the way. I think I paid around $34 or $35 for it at Trew Audio. I am about to buy another one.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #13
Inner Circle

K-Tek makes a high-quality, light-weight coiled cable with a low-profile right-angle XLR-F. It expands from 6 inches to 4 feet. About $40 USD. K-Tek # K-6NK
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #14
Major Player

Go To a Music Store for Do-It-Yourself Mike Parts

I've found that large music stores are often the best sources of all the components you'd need to make your own custom mike connectors.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #15
Trustee

I've found that specialty web vendors like Redco are the best sources of all the components you'd need to make your own custom mike connectors. Furthermore, they will make custom cables for you at very reasonable prices. And, unlike music-store clerks, they know what they are talking about.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio