Sennheiser G3 to Tascam DR-40 - Help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 17th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sennheiser G3 to Tascam DR-40 - Help!

Hi everyone.

I've been trying to get my Sennheiser EW 100 G3 Wireless System to work with a Tascam DR-40 for over an hour and I can't get any levels on the DR-40.

I tested the DR-40 with a direct XLR/cable connection to an MD 46 and it works fine, good levels, on both L/R channels. The internal mics were fine too; did a record using 4 channel and only those mics recorded sound.

I also tested the MD 46 and the Wireless System (handheld plug, lav, receiver) connected directly to my camera (well 2 cameras, ex3 and a black magic pocket) and the sound comes through fine, good levels, etc.

Of course, I really want to run the mics through the DR-40 (also using the dual recording -6 db for safety) and then on to the camera but, I cannot for the life of me figure out why I can't even get levels to show up on the DR-40.

The units are old on the sennheiser system, so I know the firmware is ancient at 1.2.2 but, aside from that and I'm not even sure if that's a problem - I can't figure this out.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Many thanks!
Krystian Ramlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sennheiser G3 to Tascam DR-40 - Help!

I assume you are using the Sennheiser cl100 XLR cable correct? Is the External Input Type switch on the DR-40 set to MIC as per the user guide and input to External?

Are you using the 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation Sennheiser?
Attached Thumbnails
Sennheiser G3 to Tascam DR-40 - Help!-screen-shot-2014-07-17-11.04.57-pm.png  
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Les.

I'm using the mini to xlr cable and yes, the DR-40 is set to the mic (middle) position. I believe my G3 system may be a first generation as I've had it since 2010 - though I'm not sure; maybe I should have posted the model #s or info from the back label. The transmitters are set to -18db and the receiver is set to - 12db. I feel like I'm missing something simple!

Also the DR-40 is set to ext 1-2 (though I have tried ext 1 and independent) with no success.

Last edited by Krystian Ramlogan; July 17th, 2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old July 17th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Solved it!

Apparently the level was too low at -12, because I've set it to +6 and the signal comes through - although it's a little lower than I expected.

So, transmitter at -6db, receiver at +6db, and the dr-40 input level is at 75 - not sure if there's anything else I should adjust but, I got sound!
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:52 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The transmitter's sensitivity should be adjusted according to the source SPL. The meter should read at least 75% deviation on peaks. I prefer to run my G2/3 receivers at line level. ( AF out @ +12) May be a little anemic on some devices though, but mic level works OK. BTW, DO NOT have Phantom Power engaged, the G2/3 EK100 portable receiver is unbalanced.
Note: The original Sennheiser Evolution wireless appearance was quite different than the G2/3 and ran on 9V batts.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Rick.

Ok, I'll change the receiver to +12; and yes - the phantom power is "off" on the DR-40.

Thanks!
Old July 21st, 2014, 09:53 AM   #7
Inner Circle

My 1st gen Senny receiver has a physical output volume knob. I run it at 50%
Attached Images

Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 07:33 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
TBTW, DO NOT have Phantom Power engaged, the G2/3 EK100 portable receiver is unbalanced.
If memory serves correctly, Sennheiser receivers REALLY don't like Phantom power and will not output any audio in some scenarios if there is Phantom power present.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:18 AM   #9
Inner Circle

"Sennheiser receivers REALLY don't like Phantom power and will not output any audio in some scenarios if there is Phantom power present"
.. and rapidly drain the input devices batteries as well.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio