Shotgun mic questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shotgun mic questions

I am in the process of upgrading from my Canon XHa1s. I sold my complete setup, so I will need to purchase a new shotgun mic. Here's my problem. I have decided on purchasing the new Sony PXW-X70 which is not yet available. I will most likely need a camera before this one will be available for purchase so I plan on using my Sony A57 DSLR until I can get the X70. So here's my question. I'd like to have a shotgun mic that I can use on both. I know I want one with phantom power, but would also be able to use it with my A57 and it's 3.5mm miniplug. I know you can buy XLR to 3.5 miniplug adapters, but what I don't know is if they will work for my situation. Any advice would be appreciated.
Stephen Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Shotgun mic questions

Phantom power is delivered via the XLR connectors.... 'Plug in power' is delivered via 3.5mm input connectors..... They are NOT the same, they are NOT interchangeable.

If you want a mic that will work on a camera with phantom power (XLR connector) AND a camera with (pug in power) a 3.5mm input, the mic will need to be powered by an internal battery (inside the mic).
Most makers have a mic to suit your needs the actual mic will be determined by your budget.

Just a note on the camera.... you do realise that the focus AND zoom are on the same lens ring, it's just something I couldn't get my head around if you were looking at doing any serious videography.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 05:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian P. Reynolds View Post
Phantom power is delivered via the XLR connectors.... 'Plug in power' is delivered via 3.5mm input connectors..... They are NOT the same, they are NOT interchangeable.

If you want a mic that will work on a camera with phantom power (XLR connector) AND a camera with (pug in power) a 3.5mm input, the mic will need to be powered by an internal battery (inside the mic).
Most makers have a mic to suit your needs the actual mic will be determined by your budget.

Just a note on the camera.... you do realise that the focus AND zoom are on the same lens ring, it's just something I couldn't get my head around if you were looking at doing any serious videography.
Thanks for the reply., I wouldn't say I will be doing "serious" videography, but I won't usually be using the camera in a normal setting. In actuality, I will be basically running the camera one handed, using a lanc remote to control the start/stop, zoom and focus.

Are there shotgun mics a that can do both? Have phantom power and also run off a battery in the mic?

Thanks
Old August 22nd, 2014, 05:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You could use something like the small denecke ps-1a phantom power supply.
I believe I got an output cable that provides the correct impedance to my Nikon D600 mic input.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/403002-REG/Denecke_PS_1A_PS_1A_Portable_Single.html
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 06:46 PM   #5
Major Player

The lens thing can be a pain when its hand held rather than on a tripod...... but it comes down to a personal choice.

Buts thats not why you have posed in an audio forum. Your after microphone info, there are many mics that fit your needs why not consider the Sennheiser MKE600, or Rode NTG2 (although its getting a bit old compared to other mics) some may suggest the Sennheiser ME66 /K6 (but this is now 30+ years old in design and I wouldnt bother with one).

Be mindful that shotgun mics indoors actually boost the reverb / echos of the room, often a shorter / less directional mic give better results in those situations. The short shotgun mics that are often sold in the camera options are better indoors. Infact there are some similar mics as those on eBay for less than $50 sound VERY good (but they are phantom powered only)

At least you have made a good choice of using video camera to shoot with rather than a DSLR, I shot weddings for several years on video cameras with an over the shoulder recorders, but couldn't think of anything worse than separate audio recorders and mic powering boxes.... Keep it simple.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:08 PM   #6
Trustee

The Rode NTG2 is an example of a prosumer "shotgun" mic that can be used with either internal battery or with phantom power from an XLR cable. RØDE Microphones - NTG2

And the little plastic shotgun mics like the Rode Video-Mic have 3.5mm outputs, but can be used into an XLR input with the appropriate adapter. RØDE Microphones - VideoMic
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:20 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian P. Reynolds View Post
The lens thing can be a pain when its hand held rather than on a tripod...... but it comes down to a personal choice.

Buts thats not why you have posed in an audio forum. Your after microphone info, there are many mics that fit your needs why not consider the Sennheiser MKE600, or Rode NTG2 (although its getting a bit old compared to other mics) some may suggest the Sennheiser ME66 /K6 (but this is now 30+ years old in design and I wouldnt bother with one).

Be mindful that shotgun mics indoors actually boost the reverb / echos of the room, often a shorter / less directional mic give better results in those situations. The short shotgun mics that are often sold in the camera options are better indoors. Infact there are some similar mics as those on eBay for less than $50 sound VERY good (but they are phantom powered only)

At least you have made a good choice of using video camera to shoot with rather than a DSLR, I shot weddings for several years on video cameras with an over the shoulder recorders, but couldn't think of anything worse than separate audio recorders and mic powering boxes.... Keep it simple.

Thanks for the info. I'll check those out. My first shotgun mic was an Audio-Technica AT875 which worked just fine for me. I really liked the short length, and I used it in combination with a wireless lav mic. 90% of my filming will actually be done using a tree arm w. a fluid head. Having the most compact setup is really important to me, as I have a ton of other gear necessary, all of which I will be carrying with me. Almost all of my filming is done outdoors and pretty far away from civilization.
Old August 24th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #8
New Boot

I understand what your looking for but I just noticed that Sony will be including a shotgun mic with the pxw-x70, if you look at the tab "in the box" on B&H .... may change your decision on trying to get a mic that will work with both. Maybe get one that will work with what you have now, and use the stock one that comes with the x70...... just a heads up.
Brian Terrinoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #9
Major Player

I'm not sure about that. I don't see the word shotgun in the B&H listing. It says XLR Handle Unit with Micropone - I'm betting, that besides the misspelling of microphone the word "holder" is just left off.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #10
Major Player

Plenty on eBay.

Super Directional Electret Microphone Replaces Sony ECM NV1 DSR PD170 | eBay
Old August 25th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Terrinoni View Post
I understand what your looking for but I just noticed that Sony will be including a shotgun mic with the pxw-x70, if you look at the tab "in the box" on B&H .... may change your decision on trying to get a mic that will work with both. Maybe get one that will work with what you have now, and use the stock one that comes with the x70...... just a heads up.
I hope that's the case, but I highly doubt a shotgun mic will come with the X70. Sony seems to do some strange things with mics, but from what I have seeen, almost never include one in the US models. The HXR-NX3 does not come with one in the US, but does in Europe. Why they do that, I have no idea.

Neither the Pro Sony US or UK mention a shotgun mic in their specs on the X70, so again, I'm just going to guess they will not include one.
Old August 25th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #12
Major Player

If you saw my post earlier, the word shotgun is not used at B&H either. They're almost certainly referring to the microphone holder.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 02:00 PM   #13
New Boot

Hi Stephen -
Just a heads up if you buy a mic that runs on both phantom power and battery: remember to remove the battery when using it on phantom power; mainly so you don't get battery leakage in your mic. I don't think phantom power will damage the mic, if there is already a battery in it, but don't take my word for it - trust the manual of whatever mic you decide to get.

About shotguns used indoor: It's true that they can sound weird - but not always. Generally, the closer you get them to reflective surfaces, the more weirdness you'll get. If it's always on the camera, you are of course limited in what you can do about that. Hypercardioid mics could be a better choice for that (or very short "shotguns").
Christian Hagelskjaer From is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio