Zoom H6 File Name at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 1st, 2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Zoom H6 File Name

Hello,

I am trying to change the actual name of the wav file to be the date stamp instead of the default "Zoom001". I have tried changing the settings in the project to be "date" instead of "default", but the file recorded to the card is still named "Zoom001". Is there a way to achieve this or do you only get to see the filename as date inside the Zoom recorder? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 04:08 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Zoom H6 File Name

I am not absolutely sure, but I am inclined to think that the Zoom will not recognise any other naming format for its folders or files. I changed the name of a project to "1KHzTONE" because I keep it permanently on the H6 and as you can see the change only affected the .hprj project file and not the audio files themselves.

Using the H6 in 'SD Card Reader' mode and looking at the files from my iMac this is what I see (pic attached).
I also tried opening the .hprj project file in Textedit to see if it helped cast any light - it didn't :-)

Once you copy the files off the H6 you can call them whatever you like of course.

EDIT:
After having a look at the manual, it seems quite clear from page 25 that when you use the project name set to "date" as you have done, the audio files remain named ZOOM000x
Any computer should see the file creation date of the audio files so you could import the whole folder by drag and drop then do a get info on each file and copy and paste the time/date into a new filename. If you are importing via audio or video editing software there might well be problems if there are several files with the same name from different folders on the H6.
Attached Thumbnails
Zoom H6 File Name-1khztone.png  

Last edited by Colin McDonald; December 1st, 2014 at 04:44 PM.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Zoom H6 File Name

Thanks for the reply. It's certainly not that big of a deal, but I was curious if I was doing something wrong. I will just use Bridge to quickly rename the files with a date stamp, but if I could have saved myself a step that would have been nice.
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio