How to ADD a high-pitch ringing noise... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 11th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to ADD a high-pitch ringing noise...

Hey all,

I am wondering how I'd go about adding a high-pitched ringing noise to my project. Think of a "ringing in your ears" high pitched noise. All of the tutorials and tips I've seen have been about how to get rid of the ringing, but I want it for this particular sequence.

I have Premiere and Audition. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Steven
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 02:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: How to ADD a high-pitch ringing noise...

I would try a few different high frequency sine waves mixed together with some effects for flavor.. phasing, flanging, chorus, reverb, ect.
Or checkout some online S/FX libraries.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 04:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Why?....What are you trying to achieve?
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian P. Reynolds View Post
Why?....What are you trying to achieve?
The main character is running pretty hard, and he starts having a heart attack. The sound slowly fades away, and you hear his heart beat as well as the high-pitched ringing noise, and then it fades to white.
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The key artistic choice is whether the ringing is a straight tone or a complex, modulated one. For a straight tone, one could just drop in a 1 kHz tone, fade in, and fade out. To make it more effective, one could bus together all of your other sounds and cut their high frequencies when the tone arrives. This would give the effect that the character isn't just hearing an additional tone, but that the tone is blocking out the rest of his hearing.

A more modern take might distort the tone progressively over time, fade in additional tones as the original tone fades out and so on. If done well, the tone would feel more organic and less synthetic. If overdone, it might come off as dubstep. ;)

I don't use Premiere/Audition, so I can't offer a "how to".
Old December 12th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #6
Trustee

Two suggestions: in Audition, select effects > generate tones. You can make quite complex tones or use or adapt some that are pre-made for you. Suggestion two: google "royalty free sound effects" or "public domain sound effects" and try out some of the files on the many sites which will appear in the search. Royalty-free is not free, it is often called "buy-out" because you pay a one-time fee--often fairly small---for unlimited use of the file. Public domain sounds may or may not be without cost.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hobby stores used to sell small very high pitched piezo-electric alarms, the sort of pitch you hear with microwaves but higher. I used it for setting the speed of an old UHER 1000 audio recorder which had analogue speed control which would drift.

I recorded a reference tape on a Nagra recorder and would roll that in the UHER whilst setting off the piezo alarm. Being of a very high pitch, any small speed differences of the tape playback were easier to detect when the sound went in and out of sync.

A recording of two of those things would probably do it for you. They likely will be just out of sync of each other. If not one could probably be de-tuned slightly by partially masking over the sound hole with gaffer tape.

If you have Pro Tools, Audition/Cool Edit Pro or similar, there will be a means of slightly detuning one of two tracks of a single recording. Dynamic and delay effects should do the rest for you to flavour of choice.

Maybe the whistle of a microwave can be all the source you need. You can always pitch it higher or lower to preference and lengthen the clip by copy and paste. If you do this, my personal preference would be to make two separate loop assemblies and randomise the cut and paste points, blend the two recordings so that there is not a 'beat" or noticeable "loop" cadence in the sound.

From that base sound you could then add dynamic and delay effects. The best dramatic effect may be to lay a third track of a slightly detuned pitch which beats strongly against the others. From the initial "impact" point, slowly fade this third track to mute over about five seconds, leaving the two remaining tracks of the slightly out of sync high pitched sound.

If you know someone with a professional electronic keyboard, you may be able to create your base sound from its library of instruments.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio