Rode's new wireless system - the heavens have surely opened - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 21st, 2015, 11:29 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Rode's new wireless system - the heavens have surely opened

Sony makes a couple of BlueTooth wireless microphones. One of them (ECM-AW4) even features "talk-back' so the director can cue the "talent".
An older model that I tried a couple years ago had quite noticeable latency, however.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:52 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Richard

The EW1 is now discontinued cos the receiver only support Handycams via the hotshoe .. the AW4 has an audio out which is neat but pity about the transmitter! For video it would be ugly especially at a wedding. Then again at $186 from B&H it's a lot cheaper than a UHF system !! Sony could have easily included a 3.5mm jack for a remote mic.

We will have to see what the Rode system comes in at when the rush is over ..it might be quite affordable too...I'd like to hear the quality but I suspect being Rode it will be up to par!

Azden amost got it right with an IR system but it only works indoors so it seems that was a failure too!!

Finally check this out on eBay ...used as a cordless 2.4Ghz BT cable between mics/instruments and amplifier inputs http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JOYO-JW-0...item3384bbed30

Chris

Last edited by Chris Harding; January 22nd, 2015 at 06:22 AM.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:48 AM   #18
Major Player

Range has to take into account things in the path that might attenuate the signal. For instance my wifi performance falls off significantly from the opposite end of the house. Maybe it's 100m in open space and quite a bit less otherwise? Looks like you need about 2Mbps throughput + encryption overhead.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 11:08 AM   #19
Wrangler

Range is a function of transmitter power, receiver sensitivity, antenna efficiency and orientation relative to each other, as well as environmental effects such as walls, nearby materials, and competing signals. Transmitter power, frequencies, modulation methods, and the like are regulated by governments, the rest is technology and user.

Most rate range based on clean line of sight with no nearby obstructions that might cause multipath, etc.

Data rate is based on sample rate, bit depth, and transmission protocol overhead.

An uncompressed single (mono) channel with a 48k sample rate and 24 bit audio would start at ~1.2 mbps. To that add the overhead for protocols and encryption.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 11:24 AM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
I would post it here, but this forum does not appear to support text tables.
That's something I've always wanted to do -- thanks for the reminder.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 02:11 PM   #21
New Boot

Sony ECM-AW4 Bluetooth Mic has External Microphone Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
the Sony AW4 has an audio out which is neat but pity about the transmitter! For video it would be ugly especially at a wedding. Then again at $186 from B&H it's a lot cheaper than a UHF system !! Sony could have easily included a 3.5mm jack for a remote mic
Actually Sony did! See the manual http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4533246021.pdf and this video
Pity that this important feature is not mentioned on the bhphotovideo.com product page.
I found no information about the data/bit rate of audio transmission, unfortunately.
Miklos Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:26 PM   #22
Inner Circle

I've been using 6 Line-6 digital wireless systems for a couple of years now, with hardly a complaint - and I'm very happy. Since day one I have had no drop outs whatsoever. The only downside is to other users of the 2.4GHz spectrum - the original Line 6 gear was 100% rock solid, but wiped out wireless for other users quite spectacularly - people in the vicinity of the transmitters would often be heard saying "is the internet ok, I keep losing my connection". Line 6 altered the frequencies slightly with a software upgrade, and reduced the impact on the other users. However, this didn't seem quite so solid, dropout wise, so I went back to the original system channels.

Biggest drawback is simply band occupancy - laptop users, iPhone users, people using iPads for monitoring, or viewing remote images from drones etc etc.

2.4GHz is very country friendly - but it's also very, very busy.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 04:42 AM   #23
Inner Circle

My typical use is on a groom at weddings so I'm always line of sight and usually, if not always no more than 5 metres away so I'm thinking that BT will work quite well. IF IR would work outdoors that would be easy but then the transmitter would have to be visible to the receiver sadly ..with weddings that would be ugly!

I'm still tempted to try the units that musicians use ..they are discrete and again have a short distance to go and are under $100 too!! The transmitters do have a 6.3mm jack plug sticking out of the end to go into a guitar but they also have a 3.5mm mic socket and level control too. The transmitter could slip into a breast pocket and I don't think that it would be difficult to rip out the instrument amp jack plug and replace with a short cable going to an XLR plug. At that price it's worth a look!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio