Boundry Layer Mic as a Plant on Set at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 14th, 2005, 01:21 AM   #1
New Boot

Boundry Layer Mic as a Plant on Set

I shoot a TV show twice a month. It's a no-budget shoot so we don't have all the crew or equipment we could use. I'm trying to improve the sound capture without a boom operator (because we've never been able to recrute one that will work for free). Right now we hang a SM58 over the set just out of frame. The trouble is that the actors sometimes stand and sit in a single scene, so the actor to mic distance varies a lot.

I was wondering if I could put a boundry layer mic on the wall or celing (the actors make too much noise on the desks with their "business") and get a good level that wouldn't change as much as what I'm getting now. What are the good and bad points of boundry layer mics. What is the maximum distance from the speaker I should consider?

Thanks,

Rob:-]

Robert Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 06:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

What about individual lavs on the talent?
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 11:10 AM   #3
New Boot

Lavs on the Talent

Lavs on the talent would be ideal. There are problems with that, however. We sometimes have as many as six people in a scene. We obviously can't run that many wired or wireless lavs.

I do have access to two wireless lavs and we use these sometimes. The problem with these is getting them onto the actors adds too much prep time to the shoot. (We shoot about 20 to 30 pages of script in six to eight hours.)

I guess we really need a dedicated sound mixer/boom operator. I was hoping the boundry layer mic might a shortcut to better sound.

Robert Shaver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio