Source for attenuating adapter cable? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 16th, 2015, 12:25 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Source for attenuating adapter cable?

Can anybody think of a source for an adapter cable that will take a single XLR line level signal and attenuate it down to a consumer line level signal and then terminate in a male, stereo, mini-plug? I want to attach a SoundDevices MM1 to a little consumer digital recorder. I do have the necessary adapters and barrel attenuators to make this happen, but I want to get it down to a single cord. If there is not already an existing product, can someone recommend a custom cable builder who could make such a thing?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Source for attenuating adapter cable?

It might be a squeeze to get all the components into an XLR plug - because I assume the XLR line is balanced, and you want to go to 3.5mm unbalanced - or did you mean stereo as in TWO XLRs down to a stereo 3.5mm plug? If you use the 1/8W resistors, they can just be squeezed in, and pretty well anyone who can solder could make these up - there are bound to be people local to you - if you know any radio hams, they are often very good at this kind of thing. I've never seen one off the shelf.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 01:31 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I know B&H has cables and plug in adaptors that are made for this purpose. Did you look there?
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Markertek in Saugerties, (Woodstock NY area) Markertek Custom Cables makes custom attenuation cables, per your or general attenuation parameters.
FWIW, 'Markertek', aka 'Tower Industries', bought Sescom when owner/audio electronics engineer Franklyn Miller passed a few years ago.. I had previously met Franklyn and had the pleasure of working with Tower Industries/Markertek president/owner Mark Braunstein on a movie. He and the folks at Markertek are good people!
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 10:55 AM   #5
Trustee

I often get Custom Cables made at Professional Sound Services in NYC. Pro-Sound.com ~ Professional Sound Services
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio