Good gear vs. built-in mic: Interesting result at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 15th, 2005, 08:50 AM   #1
Fred Retread

Good gear vs. built-in mic: Interesting result

Yesterday I shot a high school pep rally in the gym with an AT3031 going through a Beachtek DXA-8 feeding both channels of my VX2100. From prior measurements with an SPL meter, I knew that SPL would reach 115 dB during peak screaming by the students so I used limiting.

Meanwhile, I had one of my video club members roving with a handheld Sony miniDV Handicam I got for $240 from eBay, using nothing but the built-in mic. I didn't care, I figured we'd use my audio track in post.

My audio was pure and perfect as I expected, but surprise: Atlhough the little roving cam's audio did distort approaching and during the crescendoes, it captured the dynamics and therefore the mood of the event better than my setup, mainly due to the flattening of the crescendoes by my limiter. His just plain sounded better.

This was an interesting object lesson for me.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio