Need a good shotgun for high noise ENG environment - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 18th, 2015, 09:35 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Need a good shotgun for high noise ENG environment

The Schoeps CMIT5U shotgun has about the best filters and off-axis noise cancelling. However it ain't magic.. especially camera mounted. It's not exactly low cost either, but networks have deep pockets.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 06:31 AM   #32
Equal Opportunity Offender

Hi Paul,

Perhaps post-processing might be the best option? I had a bit of a quick goof around with Izotope RX4 to reduce the background noise but keep the vocals ... hopefully giving them more legibility.

(video unlisted on YouTube to protect your footage)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 08:05 AM   #33
Trustee

Yeah, I use bass treble modification, as well as FCP X background noise filter. That robotic effect can get really bad. When you have a whooshing freeway or fire engines, it can clip so bad it sounds like a horrible bluetooth noise cancelation, lots of metallic ringing!

Better audio in, better audio out! :)
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 03:56 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Best accessory for getting better audio from a camera-mounted mic . . .

A wide-angle lens or adapter. Then get as close as possible.

(Shrug)
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 09:22 PM   #35
Trustee

Haha, I agree. My last camera was a Sony PXW-X180, with a 26mm equiv lens. I also had a 16x9 EXII 0.75x wide adaptor for that camera! Problem was, the damn camera had a 3 foot minimum focusing distance.

Again, the most damning thing I have to contend with is idling police cars next to me, off to the sides, which sends a rumbling whoosh into my current AG-MC8700P short shotgun.

Paul
Old June 24th, 2015, 04:28 AM   #36
Major Player

I will be very interested in hearing whether you are successful with this. Please post an update.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 04:52 AM   #37
Trustee

I just snagged a CS3e on eBay for $1000. I plan to do some testing by strapping a Rode NTG2 on top of it with rubber bands, and running each mic to a separate channel. Best way of testing how much better the Sanken is vs a well respected budget shotgun!

Paul
Old June 30th, 2015, 05:52 AM   #38
Trustee

Tests will have to wait, the CS3e I received is defective, has a crackling audio buzz. SOOOOO disappointed. :(

Paul
Old July 3rd, 2015, 02:55 AM   #39
Trustee

First night with my CS3e, this is a clip of specifically what I got the microphone for, picking out voice audio at a distance with background noise. This was shot with reference level -60db, and the record level turned all the way up to 10 on my XDCAM. That is how clean the mic is pumped to the highest levels I can crank in camera. The audio has not had levels adjusted or any other modifications done to it. It cleans up very well in post. Can anyone recommend a good hiss reducer filter for FCP X?

Like the dude said in Back To The Future, "Now listen to this!".

Old July 3rd, 2015, 03:02 AM   #40
Trustee

Oh yeah, I mounted the microphone with the back 1/3 of the slots wrapped by the mic holder, covered completely, still works well. :)

Paul
Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:59 AM   #41
Inner Circle

"Can anyone recommend a good hiss reducer filter for FCP X"
- Aside from the usual EQ/LP filter, roll off above 8kHz, I think iZotope RX (standard & advanced) can be used in a 'stand-alone' config., if FCP-X does not support VST audio plug-ins.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 03:13 AM   #42
Trustee

Well, I gave the CS3e a few weeks to show what it had, and it showed it is NOT well suited for my application. It performs no better or worse than the stock short shotgun I was using, or an NTG2, when used around idling cars or high noise environments. On a quite or low noise street, it can really pull vocals from a distance better, but add a little rumble in ANY direction, and it covers those pretty noises.

The CS3e has really good quality, every little clink or high tones sound comes across beautifully. A clink at 50 feet is a clink, not a clunk or a clomp. Off axis bass response is, well, it is similar to having two microphones feeding the same line. The CS3e is like a bass cardoid with a treble hypercardoid.

Since this is pretty much the best available, and adds a huge shadow to the lower right corner of everything I shoot, I will probably be selling it off on eBay and sticking with the much more ergonomically effective super short shotgun. I don't think I really ever figured out how to set the camera input level for this mic. Whatever level I set, when someone would talk with a constant background noise, I would never see the VU poke up any on their voice, even when the mic was less than a meter from their mouth hole. Hard to determine audio levels when you just have a steady db level on the meter while the persons voice is booming at the mic.

Paul
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:54 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Remember that if the interfering noises originate from behind the subject of interest, they are just as much inside the max pickup zone of the mic as is the voice you're trying to capture. If that firetruck is 90 degrees off to the side, a good directional mic like the CS3 might help but if the subject is standing beside the truck nothing other than tight proximity is going to separate the voice from the engine noise. Another factor, the side rejection of a 'gun is frequency dependent - quite directional at voice frequencies but becoming almost omnidirectional at low frequencies.
Old July 13th, 2015, 10:46 AM   #44
Inner Circle

In my limited experience, the CS3e really shows its worth in boomy environments. Most shotguns are HF lobars and LF omnis, so all of the "boom" comes through - in fact a shotgun can be a "boom amplifier" as ambient noise turns into LF mud. As you mentioned, the CS3e is more like a LF cardiod, so it rejects the off axis bass to a good degree. So while off axis noise isn't eliminated, at least it falls off in a natural way.

When shooting outdoors, there's little bass buildup, so most any shotgun will do. (Of course, a bad shotgun could have a crummy frequency response, high noise, and low output but those are different topics.) Where the CS3e would shine is if you arrive at an event in a parking garage or a narrow alley. If those are likely events, you might do some additional testing before selling on ebay. But if you'll be in open areas more than nine of ten times, the advantages of the CS3e won't come into play.

How about this parabolic mic? ;)
http://www.portension.com/uploads/Im...man_uplink.jpg
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:48 PM   #45
Trustee

Yeah, all my issues are out in the open, with things to the sides and rear making low frequency rumble.

It is obviously a superior mic, no doubt about that. When there is no noise around, voices sound like they were recorded in a studio, and high frequency sounds are so distinct and clear it's uncanny. I have never owned anything other than a stock short shotgun or budget long shotgun, so hearing such clean audio is sorta cool.

I bought a device to add several threaded holes to the top of my handheld cameras handle, and if I can work a way to rear mount the rig so it doesn't protrude into my light, I might keep it. I don't think it will depreciate any while I test it further, the things seem to be holding their prices used.

Paul

Dish network! :-D
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio